The Earlier The Better

mainlyfats

You're going to be waiting a long time... Apart from Fat Chance #1 and - perhaps - a few other prototypes/1983 bikes, are there any fillet brazed Fats out there?

Stingercut

It really would be great if some of the major collectors showcased their investments.I have read about these 'East Coast Guys' with huge collections but still not seen any pics yet. I know of one who has/had over 40 Fats !!!

rick

old fats

I recently traded an 82 to the MOMBAT museum, it is the oldest Fat MTB that I am aware of. Dirtczar, how many 82s do you have and what are the serial numbers? Maybe one of your bikes is older than the one that I had. MOMBAT also has at least one other filet brazed bike (an 83), probably more.
Currently I only have one filet brazed bike remaining, has a box crown fork and roller cam brakes.
I know of a few other collectors who have quite a few more, some beautiful bikes

MikeyNYC

These are my 2 early Fats, both are from 1983

83 68 Not all original but pretty close.
IMG_6263_zpsc779f647.jpg

IMG_6270_zpse919fd80.jpg

IMG_6269_zps2ec50c48.jpg

IMG_6268_zps63ff5083.jpg

IMG_6267_zps04e91ece.jpg

IMG_6265_zps6fdd22b1.jpg

IMG_6260_zpsc7b23ada.jpg

IMG_6258_zps334d65f3.jpg

This one is 83 138 which is fillet brazed and was Chris Chance's personal bike
IMG_5351_zpscaed750c.jpg

As seen here with swapped out 1983 spec Cook Bros cranks and Suntour BMX pedals.
IMG_5425_zps3f36abeb.jpg

rick

old Fats

Mikey,

your bikes are so beautiful, willing to bet that there are none nicer.
I think that we have talked about the bike with roller cams, you probably have not seen it.
Great frame and fork but the parts really need to be sorted out

rick

chefmiguel

Mikey, your bikes deserve to be shown off! Quit messing around and start a thread or three!
Recently went to MOMBAT, definitely need a few more days to peruse every bike.

MikeyNYC

Mikey,

your bikes are so beautiful, willing to bet that there are none nicer.
I think that we have talked about the bike with roller cams, you probably have not seen it.
Great frame and fork but the parts really need to be sorted out

rick

I'm totally blanking out on that one, what color is it and what year is it from?

rick

old Fats

Mikey,

bike is black with yellow, cannot recall the year, need to pull it down and check the serial number

commander

83 68

love the fork with the "u-brake" mount / 990 /
but - as a person, who used a roller cam - ....
please - Sir, consider mounting a modern brake on that bike.
DSC_0051a_zpse2f80cb1.jpg

DSC_0053a_zps59269e58.jpg

MikeyNYC

83 68

love the fork with the "u-brake" mount / 990 /
but - as a person, who used a roller cam - ....
please - Sir, consider mounting a modern brake on that bike.

Roller Cams are awesome as long as you use the Suntour XCs that have the external springs like the original Cunningham and WTB Roller Cam brakes and you know how to properly adjust them.

mainlyfats

Roller Cams are awesome as long as you use the Suntour XCs that have the external springs like the original Cunningham and WTB Roller Cam brakes and you know how to properly adjust them.

Properly adjusted, I've never felt a brake better than the WTBs.

For everyday use I always preferred the Shimanos to the Suntours (especially the early Suntours with threaded pads). XTs were a fantastic u-brake IMO.