91 Yo Eddy

djeickme75

I just picked up a 91 Yo Eddy. It is obviously used but generally in good shape. The paint is OK with a few superficial scratches and some moderate chain rub but no major issues. The decals are pretty bad. The head badge decal is pretty good as is the flag decal but the top tube and down tube decals are badly worn. Generally it seems like a pretty decent one for riding as opposed to mounting on the wall. At some point I might get it repainted or more likely powdercoated by Spectrum (they did an amazing custom Hawaiian shirt design for me on my Strong Ti hardtail). The XT rapidfire shifters are shot but I have some XT above bar that I am going to use instead and either a pair of Avid levers or Kooka levers. The only other issues is the fork. It came with a Judy which obviously is not original given the vintage of the frame. I am pretty sure it is a 1 1/8 threaded headset (no calipers to measure but eyeballing with a tape measure it looks like that size). Obviously an original steel Fat Chance fork would be best but I am not holding my breath on that one. I am wondering what other options people might suggest that would be more period correct but perhaps a bit easier to find. I guess I could always go with a Mag 21 which are fairly easy to find but I think even those forks came a year or two after 91.

Thanks
Dan

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
If it is a '91, it is one inch headset/fork.

You'll need something in the 390-range axle to crown for a '91. eBay is, unfortunately, the best bet. Alternatively, check the back room parts bin at any long-running LBS nearby, They may have pull-off rigid forks from back in the day that might be suitable.

djeickme75

Vintage vs new

I have thought of having someone make me a custom fork or getting one of Vicious Cycle's new production stock steel forks but I would really like to try and keep the thing period correct. They Judy that is on it currently does work so it is not absolutely necessary to be in any rush on things. There are a couple of things on the radar currently that would be a bit more authentic than a Judy. I am looking at an Amp but am a bit concerned regarding the strength of such a light fork given that I am on the larger side of riders, I am also looking at an RS1 that is a bit older than the Yo Eddy but who knows about durability and functionality on something that was basically the first of it's kind. Both are fairly cheap so not much lost for trying one while I wait for the mythical Fat Chance steel fork to come up on the market.

Dan