• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Brave / Switchblade & Bontrager forks

Jack Lantern

After careful thought I've realized that I just don't ride these three bikes so it's time to part them out. Two I've had for quite a while, one I recently got. Prices don't include shipping but cost will be the actual rate, no inflated shipping rates here. PM with interest. Happy to ship abroad as well.

1) Early 90's Bontrager Race frame, size Lg (17" ST c-c). I've always thought of this frame as made during the time when Bontrager was switching from the OR to the Race (92ish I believe) as it has some characteristics of both frames. I'm told the chain stays are of the OR vintage and it has the "left open" wishbone on the seat stays like the OR's but it doesn't have the bonded & riveted cable guides. All threads are fine, original paint is in nice shape, and while repro'ed the decals are of decent quality and in very good condition. Will come as pictured with original seat collar, American Classic seat post & older white Bontrager saddle. $300 SOLD

2) Brave Warrior frame, 17-1/2" ST c-c. Based on the serial number (89BW110) I've always considered this an 89 but I'm not 100% on that. Made by Tom Teesdale. I had it repainted & decaled by Tom 3 or 4 years ago and since it's only been ridden 2 or 3 times since then the paint is in nice condition. Will come as pictured with turquoise seat binder, black seat post & WTB saddle. $300 (paint job alone ran me more than that). SOLD

3) Brave Racer frame, 17-1/2" ST c-c. Based on the serial number (BR-008-5-93) I consider this a 93 and since it doesn't have the TET stamp on it I assume it's a Bill Grove frame. Paint is original and by no means perfect. It had a few spots of light rust when I got it and after taking some emory cloth to those spots I was relieved to find it's only surface rust. Other than a small ding on the drive-side chain stay I can find no other dents. Not a museum piece but will build into a great blue collar rider. Will come with pictured Phil Wood BB (very smooth), a red Thomson seat post and a WTB saddle. $250 SOLD

Forks:

1) Bontrager Comp w/threadless 1" steerer (209mm steerer w/star nut). Chrome finish isn't perfect (light pitting in places) but still in very nice condition. $275 SOLD
2) Bontrager Comp w/threaded 1" steerer (180mm w/28mm or threads). These are an interesting fork. I had the blades laying around for years & years as they didn't have the brake bosses bonded & riveted on them. I finally decided to send them to FTW to have regular brake bosses brazed on them. He did a great job and the paint on them is also very nice. Blades and crown are unused (no hub or QR markings on the dropouts) but the crown has a small amount of shop wear. $250 SOLD
3) Bontrager Race fork w/threaded 1" steerer (140mm w/30mm of threads). I have another steerer that's 15mm longer if interested in swapping, it just has a little surface rust on it. $225 SOLD
4) Tange Switchblade w/threaded 1" steerer (170mm w/35mm of threads). $150 SOLD
5) Rock Shox Quadra 10 (?) w/threadless 1" steerer (183mm w/star nut). Still compresses & rebounds. Current elastomers feel pretty stiff, not sure if that means they need replacing or if they're just the harder variety. $30

Last edited:

-Anomie-

I might be interested in either of the Brave frames, can you tell me what the top tube lengths are on them?

Jack Lantern

I might be interested in either of the Brave frames, can you tell me what the top tube lengths are on them?

Measured center-to-center, the Warrior TT is 22-1/4" and the Racer is 21-1/2". I actually just re-measured the seat tubes on these and they both come in at 17-1/2" to 17-5/8" center-to-center. Sorry for the confusion.

-Anomie-

The Warrior might fit, since the top tube must slope a little and the effective length will be closer to 23". I'm in New York, any chance you're in the area so I could take a look at it? Not a big if not, it would just be nice to see it in person (and save on shipping).