New weekend purchase - another 93 Buckshaver!

settemarche

sort of interesting. found this bike in LA. mother built it up for a road oriented father. sat in the garage. parents retired and moved so the daughter takes over. living in LA with no trials the daughter wanted it gone. apartment is to small ;-)<p>

my wifes Buchshaver i thought was in concourse condition. but this latest aquisition puts it to shame. it is just about paint chip free. there are three on the chain stay. maybe a better way of stating condition is the rims. Mavic 231 - pre machined sidewall so the sidewalls are annodized. usually one a bike is ridden a couple of time the annodize wears off the braking surface. both wheels has shinny sidewalls.<p>

285B3M

Big One Inch Fork

Deore XT front and rear derailleurs

Deore DX shifters and levers

Deore LX canti's

Deore DX hubs w/Mavic 231 rims

Syncros seatpost

Flite Ti seat

Uno quill

Concept USA handlebar

Fat Bottom Ti bar ends - (anyone have info?)

Some lame pedals.

getting ready to ride tomorrow - enjoy,

Sette

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 47

Yo Eddy!

Maybe a more high profile stem and some small bits and you're already pretty much done :D Great score, congrats! What is nice it has the BOI instead of the for a Buck more common Tange Struts.

settemarche

Maybe a more high profile stem and some small bits and you're already pretty much done :D Great score, congrats! What is nice it has the BOI instead of the for a Buck more common Tange Struts.

Yo,

your comments are always appreciated. the cockpit does feel a touch cramped. so i am with you on the stem upgrade. not sure about brand - thinking Syncros or Salsa, something period.

as for the Big One Inch - i was really suprised to find that fork on the bike. usually they do have the Tange as this was the entry level bike. i was also a little worried that the wheelbase and rake of the fork would be off. however after measuring it turns out that everything is within an 1/8 of an inch. ready to roll.

any ideas on canti systems? i think this bike deserves something a touch better than the black LX stuff.

thanks again,

Sette

settemarche

That's a great find no matter what it cost. Congratulations!

Devil,

the bike is really sick. and the cost was really not much. even on a teachers salary i could aford to buy it. this chick had something that she really did not know much about. however she did know it was somewhat special as it was not $100.

i am totally stoked on that fork. i cannot wait to take it out for a ride this afternoon. with a great degree of certainty i think it will be the first time the bike has been offroad.

Ciao,

Sette

lucifer

1" Syncros quill stems go through ebay all the time. That is what I would get if it were mine. As for brakes some black graftons would look awesome....

Enjoy the ride. As a fellow Buck owner I can pretty much guarantee that you are gonna love it.

Yo Eddy!

Hi,

The black brakes do look good on the bike, but as they are the only LX part on this for the remaining DX/XT bike ...and as they are 'only' LX, swapping them for something nicer would not be a bad idea. Personally I do not rate Grafton function very high, though they would be great for a more showbike. As the XT parts are from the 730 series you could also simply go for black lp m730s. Another option could be going for the nos Onza HO's that a bloke from Mexico tries to sell on eBay all the time. They are more or less trick bit and can be had at a reasonable pricepoint.

lucifer

Hi,

The black brakes do look good on the bike, but as they are the only LX part on this for the remaining DX/XT bike ...and as they are 'only' LX, swapping them for something nicer would not be a bad idea. Personally I do not rate Grafton function very high, though they would be great for a more showbike. As the XT parts are from the 730 series you could also simply go for black lp m730s. Another option could be going for the nos Onza HO's that a bloke from Mexico tries to sell on eBay all the time. They are more or less trick bit and can be had at a reasonable pricepoint.

I hear ya on the graftons... I said they would look good right. ;) If he really wants it to stop good then he should get avid ultimate vs. As far as period correct shimano cantis go though those LXs are as good as anything save for maybe XTR.

As for those onza brakes from mexico I bought some and 3 out of the 4 broke the first day I rode them hard. So I would tell everyone to stay far far away from them. They are dangerous and any money spent on them is money wasted.

Yo Eddy!

Hi lucifer,

I personally never bought the Onza's. I do know of another person who is pretty happy with them, but hearing your story I also would not take the gamble now. You didn't overtighten?

Of course the LX's brakes are good, but I assumed that was not the point.

Spikes

I wouldn't mess with these brakes. They look just fine. Maybe upgrade them with better pads (Scott Matthauser: by LBS still carries them). I would concentrate on the cockpit. Syncros stem with matching bars would look nice. Personally I like the more 'slim' look of the Salsa stem (or eq.) with a nice black Answer Hyperlite.......
(so far for my speachlessness)

mainlyfats

They're a bit fiddly, but...

How about a nice set of WTB Cantis? Nothing says thoughtfully assembled early 90's bike to me like WTB. They come up every now and again on ebay.

Paul's cantis are period AND you can get replacement parts for them. Mated to Paul levers or a nice fresh set of Diacompe SS7 levers would be pretty hot.

settemarche

Stunned, just stunned...... And speachless......

Spikes,

i get the feeling that it may have sounded like i paid aroud or less than $100 for this fine example. i apologize. this bike was a fair bit more than $100.

i now grant you un-stunned status and you can go back to speaking!

Ciao,

Sette

lucifer

Hi lucifer,

I personally never bought the Onza's. I do know of another person who is pretty happy with them, but hearing your story I also would not take the gamble now. You didn't overtighten?

Of course the LX's brakes are good, but I assumed that was not the point.

Nope they were tightened just enough to not move on the post. I think it was a bad bunch of aluminum or just a poor design. They snapped clean in half at the pad holders.

settemarche

Nope they were tightened just enough to not move on the post. I think it was a bad bunch of aluminum or just a poor design. They snapped clean in half at the pad holders.

Lucifer,

i am going to back you on the Onza brake issue. my set never even made it out to the trails. when the mechanic was tightening down the outside bolt that goes around the post snapped. several have mentioned that this a rather poor overall design. however, they do look like the get the job done.

the Onza set was pulled and switched out for the Control Tech system. however, the Control Tech system uses this wild top mounted spring - rather than a spring in the lever. we are going to keep up the search.

Ciao,

Sette

Yo Eddy!

Sette,

Was that also a set from the Mexican guy? If so, it could be a wrong batch. I have several friends who use or used HOs and I never heard one of them experienced something like this.

The HO design was by Boulder bicycles originally

settemarche

Sette,

Was that also a set from the Mexican guy? If so, it could be a wrong batch. I have several friends who use or used HOs and I never heard one of them experienced something like this.

The HO design was by Boulder bicycles originally

Yo,

the ones that i had were not of Mexican desent. and i to have heard of many people loving the way the HO's work. this is why i think there was a slight design change. i might try the Mexican dish again as it cost wise is a pretty decent alternative to the other set ups out there.

Ciao,

Sette

settemarche

How about a nice set of WTB Cantis? Nothing says thoughtfully assembled early 90's bike to me like WTB. They come up every now and again on ebay.

Paul's cantis are period AND you can get replacement parts for them. Mated to Paul levers or a nice fresh set of Diacompe SS7 levers would be pretty hot.

Mainly,

i hear you on the Paul's stuff. i am a big fan. however, most of the Paul's stuff goes for a fair bit on our beloved eBay. i have some Ritchey whale fin brake pads that i am going to run. plus a set of Onza Chill Pills. then the hunt will be on for the cantis themselves.

Ciao,

Sette

mainlyfats

I understand the best way to get...

Mainly,

i hear you on the Paul's stuff. i am a big fan. however, most of the Paul's stuff goes for a fair bit on our beloved eBay. i have some Ritchey whale fin brake pads that i am going to run. plus a set of Onza Chill Pills. then the hunt will be on for the cantis themselves.

Ciao,

Sette

cheap Paul stuff is through a bike store hook-up. They have a great pro-deal, so employees can buy direct if paying by CC.

I've never actually bought any Paul stuff this way though and I find it all built so well that the price just kind of recedes from my memory. How much was that WORD hub I bought in the 90's and used almost daily for 7 years? Who cares - it's eternal! Definately less than $1.25 a month and I just sold it for $65. So what's that? $.40 a month? I lose more in couches...

I have another WORD wheelset, a v-brake and lever on my FAT cruiser. I'll never need to replace that stuff...

Attachments

• 351933563_833869de3f.jpg
    351933563_833869de3f.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 13

lucifer

I think that the problem with the onzas may be that the design is sensitive to variations in the diameter of the pad's post. If the post was significantly thicker or thinner it would make for a poor fit up given the precise machining. Or it could just be inflexible or otherwise weak aluminum....