I just got a '85 fat Chance

High Gear

Being a roadie since the late 80's and living in Connecticut, not too far from Somerville MA. I have always had a envy for the creations of Chris Chance. When I saw someone selling this purple with yellow graphics Fat Chance I pulled the "long been cocked trigger". When I saw the U-brake and full XT components, it just brought me back in time. This girl has been sitting around a long time collecting dust. Now I have a few questions. I don't see any model name on the frame and wonder what it most closely matches in the later model years when the Wickeds and yo Eddys came out. The fork is a after market Tange Prestige straight blade that looks like chromoly blades in a aluminum crown. Was the fat Chance chromoly fork available in '85? Also, was this a good find or are the later bikes more sought at?

Being a roadie since the late 80's and living in Connecticut, not too far from Somerville MA. I have always had a envy for the creations of Chris Chance. When I saw someone selling this purple with yellow graphics Fat Chance I pulled the "long been cocked trigger". When I saw the U-brake and full XT components, it just brought me back in time. This girl has been sitting around a long time collecting dust. Now I have a few questions. I don't see any model name on the frame and wonder what it most closely matches in the later model years when the Wickeds and yo Eddys came out. The fork is a after market Tange Prestige straight blade that looks like chromoly blades in a aluminum crown. Was the fat Chance chromoly fork available in '85? Also, was this a good find or are the later bikes more sought at?

Your fork sounds like a tange switchblade which would be an aftermarket fork. Are you sure it's an '85? I believe the u brakes were more common later like '87. I think '85 would have been the last year the der. Cable routing went beside the seat tube (right above the bottom bracket) as opposed to through a plastic guide below the bottom bracket. Also your serial number should help determine the year. As far as what's sought after; it depends. Different folks have different connections with different models. Having your bike mostly original (especially the forks) contributes to the more sought after bikes. Me, I love me all!