FINALLY...building the Gulf Yo Eddy-tire size?

nevada72

Some of you may recall the resto job Rody did for me. Here's a couple of pics.

The frame looks so amazing that I haven't had the heart to build and ride it. Until now. I'm keeping it simple - single speed using a White Ind. eccentric Eno. The rest of the parts will be vntage appropriate, i.e. Synchros, Kore, Avid, Suntour XC Pro, etc. This will be my light/agile trail ride for dry days on smoother terrain.

I'm retaining the original Yo fork. As such, I would like to roll on the biggest tire I can to help absorb the bumps. Can someone tell me - what is the widest tire one can fit onto a Yo?

I'll post up a final build report with pics soon. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retro Dude

I'm running a new Specialized Ground Control 2.3 in a BOI with plenty of clearance:

Attachments

• fork-tire.jpg
    fork-tire.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 12

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The Yo was developed for a 2.5 in all the literature I've seen since 1990 or so, but I could try and see---just gotta find a 2.5 inch tire ;)

I have the feeling they are pretty close to the same width...the only difference is the height, which might matter for a high-volume tire. The non-sus corrected Yo fork is pretty low.

I'll check when I get home with some calipers.

nader

really? did you try it?
no I don't have 2.5" tires here, but I had 2.3" Maxxis on my Grello YO (Suspension Corrected) and there is only 1.5 cm to bottom of steerer. I think with 2.5" and no-suspension-corrected fork it will be very closely.

vintagerider

OK...back to the frame.

Love Gulf colors!

Do you have any better pics of the paint job. The orange has a kind of a gold tint to it?

chefmiguel

I don't doubt Naders point, modern 2.3 tires are rather large and probably are bigger than the old Specialized 2.5. Sizing of tires was questionable back then differing between manufacturers. Still stand by my original statement though, it was designed around the Specialized 2.5 tires.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
My non-corrected Yo Eddy fork can handle 3" total width at the tread, but with a 2.1 Smoke, there is only another .5" to the crown. The sus-corrected fork has the same width, but with a 2.1 Smoke has a little over 1.5" to the crown. Should handle larger volume modern tires easily.

nevada72

OK...back to the frame.

Love Gulf colors!

Do you have any better pics of the paint job. The orange has a kind of a gold tint to it?

Thanks! No pics at the moment but I will do a build report very shortly - with pics. I'm hoping it all comes together this week - very excited to get this thing back on the trail!

Not really a gold tint - it's very middle orange. Rody and I talked a lot about the Gulf colors. I sent him a few old car pics to use as examples. But, even those vary from car to car. Rody basically used his best judgement and I have to say, did a phenomenal job. The blue is just what I had hoped for and the orange offsets it beautifully. The man is an artist.

On the tires - I thought I remembered the 2.5 thing and I'm glad to get that confirmed. I appreciate the back and forth on the old vs new tire size. Much to re-learn as I've been out of this sport for a while. My frame is a 91 and the bike is not suspension corrected. I want to run the fatest/lightest tires I can get on this thing. Any recommendations?

shiprick

2.5's...no problem:)

P1020253.jpg
P1020255.jpg
P1020254.jpg

colker

awesome.. you have the original grey specialized tires.
That bike is my size and that's my favourite color.:)

BUt that's a BOI. not the Yo Eddy fork.

Last edited: