Clear over orginal paint & decals??

Butcher

I've just picked up an NOS 91 Monster Fat frame and fork and was wondering if I could have it clear coated over the original paint and stickers to keep them from slowing turning into dust like they tend to do over time. Has anyone done this? Does any know if the original stickers can be clear coated over or any tips on the process?

Thanks

jh4rt

Contact Rody

I've just picked up an NOS 91 Monster Fat frame and fork and was wondering if I could have it clear coated over the original paint and stickers to keep them from slowing turning into dust like they tend to do over time. Has anyone done this? Does any know if the original stickers can be clear coated over or any tips on the process?

Thanks
Hey.

Check out http://www.groovycycleworks.com/

Rody is the man: He can direct you toward the solution.

-j

rody

Butcher,

Yes, what you desire can be done, but it does have a very small margin for error.

The frame will need to be chemically cleaned and then sanded with 600 grit paper to give some mechanical adhesion.

A light rub with some reducer to reactivate the clear and then sprayed with a couple of coats of new clear.

The difficult aspect is just making sure that the years of dust/dirt/derbis have been lifted prior to finishing.

cheers,

rody

IF52

Hi Rody,

It sounds like the decals are already on his frame and have not ever been cleared over. If he starts wiping it down with reducer or any other solvent won't it mess up the decals?

rody

You are correct Michael, I was assuming he was looking for general information with which to go to a professional with...NOT to be done by an inexperienced "friend wth some tools" :p

rody

I-ROBOT

During the Somerville years, we used special decal sets that were intended to be sprayed over. They were similar to decals that you get with model kits in that water was used as a release agent.

We never sprayed clear over the thick vinyl decals - only the ones that were designed to be cleared over.

I love the cleared-over decals. I had my Wicked re-done by Mike Flanigan right before the Somerville shop went knobs-up and he put on cleared over decals. It looks amazing. I wish we could have done every bike that way.

Scott Bengtson

IF52

When did they switch from wet slide to dry transfer decals? And when did the lathe butted Ti frames appear? Seems like an odd combo of questions, but I have some 'feel my butt' decals that are dry transfer and am not sure what era they are from. I can't recall when I grabbed them but it was probably 94/95 ish. And I'm not sure why we had a loose set laying around :confused:
I guess the Ti frames always had some sort of dry decal though, no?

Actually, when was the switch to wet slide? My 92 Monster has cleared over decals, except for the Massachussets flag, which is vinyl.