FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old July 29th, 2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Jopldangla

Default Yo Eddy Upgrade Ideas

I have a 97' Yo Eddy.
The drivetrain has been going to sh!t recently and I want to uprgade it to something more current. Any suggestions?
Currently it has an XTR derailleur, XT crank (3 ring), and rear cassette is a Hyperglide.

I continue to ride her occasionally in the trails, but more than likely I have a trailer hitched up to the rear for rides with the family.

Would love and appreciate any/all tips/ideas.
Is there anything that won't work? What pitfalls should I be looking out for when dealing with a 97 Yo.
Jopldangla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2018, 11:11 AM   #2
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopldangla View Post
I have a 97' Yo Eddy.
The drivetrain has been going to sh!t recently and I want to uprgade it to something more current. Any suggestions?
Currently it has an XTR derailleur, XT crank (3 ring), and rear cassette is a Hyperglide.

I continue to ride her occasionally in the trails, but more than likely I have a trailer hitched up to the rear for rides with the family.

Would love and appreciate any/all tips/ideas.
Is there anything that won't work? What pitfalls should I be looking out for when dealing with a 97 Yo.
Cassette, chain, two larger rings and a freehub body and I 95% bet you you'll be good. All available NOS via eBay.

If you don't want to spend the money on vintage chainrings, look to Blackspire, Salsa or Specialities TA for modern 110 replacements.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2018, 8:07 PM   #3
Jopldangla

Thanks. Are you saying to just replace those components with the same parts, just new? While I have owned my Yo since 2003, I haven't really done much wrenching on it and am essentially coming at this blind. 110mm = bottom bracket width?
Old July 30th, 2018, 8:44 PM   #4
Jopldangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
Cassette, chain, two larger rings and a freehub body and I 95% bet you you'll be good. All available NOS via eBay.

If you don't want to spend the money on vintage chainrings, look to Blackspire, Salsa or Specialities TA for modern 110 replacements.

I have Chris King hubs... are you suggesting that I replace the hub with the freehub?
Old July 30th, 2018, 9:01 PM   #5
Retro Dude

110mm is the bolt circle diameter for the middle & large chainrings, they usually wear out first.
Old July 30th, 2018, 9:12 PM   #6
Jopldangla

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
110mm is the bolt circle diameter for the middle & large chainrings, they usually wear out first.
ok, awesome. This is getting easier by the second.
Old July 30th, 2018, 9:18 PM   #7
Jopldangla

Here are some pictures
https://imgur.com/a/gQvTcF2?
Old July 31st, 2018, 9:41 AM   #8
mainlyfats

My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopldangla View Post
I have Chris King hubs... are you suggesting that I replace the hub with the freehub?
Whoa... That still looks pretty fresh. First stop is asking any bike shop to throw a chain-checker on your chain and if it's still within range, just lube it up and go. You're fine and you don't need to do anything.

If it's out of serviceable range, my suggestion to you would be to buy some of the parts and bring them to a trusted, been around a while bike shop and ask for the install. They won't be able to get a decent 8 speed cassette, nor will they able to get Shimano era-specific chainrings.

The freehub body is the engagement section of the hub and it is replaceable. Chris King products are very long lasting (and without test-riding it's really hard to guess what you need) but to truly freshen everything up, it might be an idea.

Chain and CK freehub body will be no problem for them. While it's in, replace all the cables/housing and it will most likely be good as new.

Last edited by mainlyfats; July 31st, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 9:52 AM   #9
Jopldangla

Does anybody know of any good bike shops North of Boston? I am in the Andover/North Andover Area.

Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 8:11 PM   #10
Jopldangla

Update.
Turns out the derailleurs needed some adjusting. It changes gears like a dream now. Thinking to buy a new chain just for kicks!
Thanks FATCOGS for the tips and such.