Free Fat Chance at the dump

Shotty

A friend of mine ( avid rider) pinged me about a month ago to say he found a Fat Chance that was left at the town dump while doing his weekly drop off trip. He had no interest in it but wanted to know if I was interested as he knows I have a soft spot for Fats ( I have an 89 Wicked with a box crown fork and a 85 Fat) . "Of course" was my reply so after some logistics the bike landed at my house. For it's age it's in very good shape, some mangled decals on one side but the paint is in good shape, a straight up blue Fat with yellow fork and chainstay mounted rollercams. Chain and press fit BB has some corrosion but manageable. The only bummer was a missing front wheel but can't really complain since the price was right.

What a find!

straight up blue Fat with yellow fork and chainstay mounted rollercams.

Makes one wonder how many Fats have suffered this fate over the years? Nice story. The chainstay mounted brake & blue with yellow forks makes my guess that it's an '87 Kicker (which would mean the serial would start with "87"). Like Tom, we'd love to see pictures.

J

clockworkgazz

love that, looks in pretty good shape and love the xc beartrap pedals too- did your friend have to pay for it- some dumps in the uk ask for money for bikes etc...

sbarner

Dumpster bikes

Fantastic find. Reminds me a bit of a guy I worked with a number of years ago who saw my Fat and said that he had tossed his in the dumpster when the bottom of the seat tube rusted through. I said "Gee, I would have split a down tube and brazed it over the bottom of the seat tube as a sleeve." The slowly changing look on his face as the simplicity of the repair dawned on him is something I will never forget.

Stephen Barner
Bolton, Vermont