early 1990s Wicked rake/length

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Heya!

Hurtling toward my snowy home is an early 90s Wicked. My firdt one--I am stoked!
I am not sure exactly what year it is, but I assume by the spec '91ish. I have a couple questions for you guys:

Any date-by-decals experts?

The bike currently has some blown Manitou I's but I am going to get a rigid fork made by Tom Teesdale. I gathered on Mombat that the rake for the Wicked fork is 1.75", or 44.45mm, a hair shy of the standard 45mm. I am wondering about the a-c length. 390mm? 394mm, 395mm? Any help would be appreciated!

Another Q: would I be a fool for messing with the rake and bringing it down to 42, splitting the difference between the standard Wicked and the Yo's 38mm? A quicker Wicked, or a fool's errand?

One muddling Q: what color? I was initially thinking black, but red or white or...Pink!? might look pretty awesome with the silver....Hmm.....any thoughts?

Attachments

• wicked.jpg
    wicked.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 22
  • wicked 2.jpg
    wicked 2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 13

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Black is definitely the first option....

No one with a Wicked fork? Come on guys..... help a brother out!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Thanks man----

...and blue would look pretty awesome. I think I am sticking to single-color.

fred smedley

Heya!

Another Q: would I be a fool for messing with the rake and bringing it down to 42, splitting the difference between the standard Wicked and the Yo's 38mm? A quicker Wicked, or a fool's errand?
Cutting down the rake will slow down the steering not speed it up. I put a 45mm Tange 395mm long on my wicked and the handling is spot on IMO. A Bridgestone Ritchey Logic fork is 40mm if you want a cheap way to experiment with less rake. http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Thanks for the correction. I ended up going with the stock 1.75" rake and a custom fork from Tom Teesdale in bright red. Should be done by the end of the month!
:)