Remember the Mountain Dew Commercial with the Mountain Bikers?

In roughly 1989 I did a multiple week bike ride through the YMCA from Westport, Connecticut to Montreal and Quebec city (I would have been 15). There was a kid on the ride who rode a flourecent green Fat Chance that he claimed he got because his dad produced the Mountain Dew Commercial in which they hired 3 professional mountain bikers and ordered up 3 of the best known mountain bikes (Fat Chances of course) to do the filming of the commercial. That kid, by the way, didn't make it the whole trip. If I recall he tried to split from the group and they called his parents; his dad showed up in a big black Mercedes 560SEL and put the Fat Chance in the trunk with the wheel sticking out.

Scott or anyone remember Mountain Dew using the Fat Chances?

Jon

Last edited:

colker

i remember a shimano ad in bike mags which had a fluorescent Yo.. Bike and rider on top of a downhill made of nearly vertical singletrackby a cliff. i don't even think taht was real. always thought they made it up for the picture.
i thought it was a fat cause the fork was definitely a Yo.

AB

"his dad showed up in a big black Mercedes 560SEL and put the Fat Chance in the trunk with the wheel sticking out."

What a surprise.

spindrome

Is one of the riders Herbold?

Seems likely. I am not sure how many were made but he was in one of them at least.

From here: http://www.bicyclehub.com/history.html

This commercial will feature mountain bikes for the first time on a nationally shown status. Featured in this commercial will be Team Miyata rider Greg Herbold, observed trials rider Mitch Carrier, John Griel and Sun Valley National NORBA's event promoter, Doug Neidrich.