FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old July 13th, 2008, 5:13 AM   #1
YoKris

Default YO repainted in Kandy Wild Cherry!

Hey ya...

Don't want to hide these pictures anymore! And this is the best place to release them!

I've repainted a YO EDDY! for a friend of mine in Kandy Wild Cherry! - yes, it's the original color! And of course including original decals! He is going to build it up with a NOS Suntour XC PRO and further silver parts.

That was the frame in his old dress!

Overall 6 layers of paint were applied. The color is outstanding, it's almost impossible to capture it on a picture!
YoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 5:15 AM   #2
YoKris

These pictures were made after the decals were applied. Another two layers of clear coat followed!

And that's the result!

Along with Chameleon Metallica, Grello and fluorescent yellow with metallic blue kandy wild cherry! is my fav Fat paint job!

Further pictures will follow...

cheers,
//yo
Old July 15th, 2008, 4:07 PM   #3
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Looks great there Yokris, but I am not a big fan of putting Mass built decals on a NY frame (that is just me though).
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #4
Upchuck

Beautiful work on the paint job! I bet it looks incredible in person.

I have to agree with Fat-Tony though. Mass decals don't belong on NY frames. I guess I'm a purist.
93 m Ti Fat Chance period correct
99 m Yo! SS conversion
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 3:30 AM   #5
YoKris

Normally me too. But in this case, Tom (the friend of mine) pleased me to do so. And as he is a very good friend, I can't deny!

But it you look what others do when repainting Fat's concerning colors and decals...that's what hurts. Applying the decals on wrong places, using non-Fat paint jobs etc...

But thanks...as Chuck said, it's almost impossible to get the shinny look of the color
on a picture!
Old July 16th, 2008, 8:54 AM   #6
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKris View Post
Normally me too. But in this case, Tom (the friend of mine) pleased me to do so. And as he is a very good friend, I can't deny!

But it you look what others do when repainting Fat's concerning colors and decals...that's what hurts. Applying the decals on wrong places, using non-Fat paint jobs etc...

But thanks...as Chuck said, it's almost impossible to get the shinny look of the color
on a picture!
I don't really think there is such a thing as a non-Fat paint job. They were willing to paint a frame any Imron color you wanted, any way you wanted it. We even sold a Ti Fat to a customer that Fat painted red to match all of the red anodized parts he put on the bike. Money talks.

And not to be too critical, but is it just the photos or does the paint have really bad orange peel? It looks really bad in the pictures of the dropouts and bottom bracket area.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 3:56 PM   #7
YoKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
I don't really think there is such a thing as a non-Fat paint job.
Sure, I know. What I'm talking about are faceless powder coated FAT's like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
And not to be too critical, but is it just the photos or does the paint have really bad orange peel? It looks really bad in the pictures of the dropouts and bottom bracket area.
It's just the photos. Of course no orange peal...it's the original color.
Old July 16th, 2008, 5:18 PM   #8
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
Looks great there Yokris, but I am not a big fan of putting Mass built decals on a NY frame (that is just me though).
yup. not cool. not cool at all. maybe unethical.
Old July 16th, 2008, 5:28 PM   #9
misterdangerpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
yeah, I agree. maybe I'm a little biased though due to the fact that I live in Massachusetts and lived in Somerville for many years.

good job nonetheless!
misterdangerpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 6:49 PM   #10
rody

Kris,

Michael (IF52) is referring to the textured paint application that gives the appearance of the rough texture on the dropouts and bottom bracket characteristic of an "orange peel", not the pigment or color.

Listers... "Orange peel" is often caused by improper reducing, too great a distance from the frame that allows for drying of the paint particles enroute, or too fast a stroke. With heavy metallics like the Kandy cherry, it is a common occurance in the base layers.

If you look at the final clear shots, a hot top coat can burn in the under layers and smooth everything out, as demonstrated on the top tube shot.

Looks good Kris,

rody
Old July 17th, 2008, 6:58 PM   #11
YoKris

Hey Rody,

ahh...now I know what he means - in german it's called "Orangenhaut". I was wondering what he's seeing on my pics!

The picture of the dropouts was taken when the decals were applied. Afterwards 3 coats of clear were applied. And as you say...that made the final result very smooth without any orange peel!

Thanks Rody!

cheers,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rody View Post
Kris,

Michael (IF52) is referring to the textured paint application that gives the appearance of the rough texture on the dropouts and bottom bracket characteristic of an "orange peel", not the pigment or color.

Listers... "Orange peel" is often caused by improper reducing, too great a distance from the frame that allows for drying of the paint particles enroute, or too fast a stroke. With heavy metallics like the Kandy cherry, it is a common occurance in the base layers.

If you look at the final clear shots, a hot top coat can burn in the under layers and smooth everything out, as demonstrated on the top tube shot.

Looks good Kris,

rody
Old April 12th, 2012, 8:11 AM   #12
jawakaman

Only one pic still visible on this (old) post, do you still have the others (and maybe even the bike...?
'91 Yo Eddy sprayed dark green M (to be restored)
'93 Yo Eddy candy green M
'95 Ti Fat M
jawakaman is offline   Reply With Quote