94 Shock-A-Billy - Project 2012

theredchili

Very very nice...

your patience has paid off...

Do you have to literally bake it to get the old powder off or will it strip like paint?

Sapphire fade is tasty for a repaint

Kandy wild cherry is a great colour, not sure Aquafade Harlequin will work so well on this the of frame due to the complex shape - just my opinion, I'm sure it will look stunning once done ,which ever colour you go with

Zamfir

Excellent build.

Just out of curiosity do your Grafton's have the titanium insert on the non-drive crank, it surrounds the square bb opening.? I broke that arm years ago and contacted G, he sent the newer version as a replacement.

nader

Ah, the yellow is going. It's a nasty powder coat and I want to do something a bit more special. Thinking maybe Candy Wild Cherry or something similar with a matching rear end. Or maybe Aquafade harlequin...

It's already so beautiful, only the decals are missing.

But I think a shock a billy in "kandy wild cherry" could be a bit more special, however then the Judy needs to be go in other colour. (just my two cent :D)

northerndave

Thanks for all the commentary guys...

Colour is going to take a while to decide upon I think. I do really like the idea of a colour matched rear though, seems in keeping with the original intention for the SAB colours if the catalogues are anything to go by. Dint think I've ever seen a Amp SAB with a painted rear. Scott, did any leave the factory painted or were they all raw alloy?

I want to get the B2 rear end sorted out first so it gets back to the original spec and then go from there. Need to reach out to Brion at Amp and I had to drill the bolts from the doner Amp frame to get the rear off. Need to get either a new Horst link pivot kit it some imperial socket head bolts - looks line a metric M4 but isn't.

I think I'll also colour match the Judy so it's an option but will probably run either a Judy SL or XC in stock colours.

I'll check the grafton for a Ti insert but I don't remember seeing it - I think it's just CNC alloy.

IF52

Excellent build.

Just out of curiosity do your Grafton's have the titanium insert on the non-drive crank, it surrounds the square bb opening.? I broke that arm years ago and contacted G, he sent the newer version as a replacement.

I never heard of that. I do know they redesigned that end of the crank at some point, I think rotating the square or something, and I know they had a bad run of product due to bad billet from their supplier, but never heard anything about a Ti insert.

WVEddy

I would definitely color match the fork or include it in the paint somehow. It will look way better than stock RS colors. It would be cool to color match the rear triangle and the fork. Do wild cherry on the frame and a silver/grey Metallica on the triangle and fork. Or leave the rear polished and do a chromed fork for some extra bling. Then any frame color will really pop. I did custom fork graphics to match the lettering on the fat stickers. It ties the fork into the overall theme of the bike better. Just my 2 cents. Bike is awesome regardless of what you do. Thanks for saving it and bringing it back to life.

Zamfir

I could take a picture of the insert and post if for info.

I still remember when the arm snapped, right in the middle of a busy intersection, I almost went down.

Of course I was gutted because I just love my Grafton cranks. Luckily the company was still honoring their warranty and after a nice discussion with Mr.Grafton he sent me a new crank arm with the insert. He said they have never had one of these break. So far so good.

Anyway back to the SAB build. I like everything about it and i'm very interested in seeing how it turns out. All of the color options sound awesome!

IF52

I could take a picture of the insert and post if for info.

I still remember when the arm snapped, right in the middle of a busy intersection, I almost went down.

Of course I was gutted because I just love my Grafton cranks. Luckily the company was still honoring their warranty and after a nice discussion with Mr.Grafton he sent me a new crank arm with the insert. He said they have never had one of these break. So far so good.

Anyway back to the SAB build. I like everything about it and i'm very interested in seeing how it turns out. All of the color options sound awesome!

When did they start doing that? I personally had a set in 93 or so that definitely did not have it (pre-redesign), and don't recall that on any of the later post redesign sets we sold at the shop. A letter I have from John dated 8th May 1995 regarding several issues including the non-drive side crank redesign also makes no mention of a ti insert.

Zamfir

No idea when John started putting the insert into the arms or if they were only available as a warranty replacement, which would make sense.

My memory is a bit hazy but i think I originally bought the cranks in 1993 and I think the 1 arm broke in the later half of that decade. Perhaps 97?

Shall i snap a pic and post?

IF52

No idea when John started putting the insert into the arms or if they were only available as a warranty replacement, which would make sense.

My memory is a bit hazy but i think I originally bought the cranks in 1993 and I think the 1 arm broke in the later half of that decade. Perhaps 97?

Shall i snap a pic and post?

Yeah, I'm kind of interested to see what they did. I think the original redesign was something to do with changing the shape of the BB end of the crank, teardrop shape, but I was out of the industry by 97 so never would have seen the insert fix

rick

Grafton cranks

I have a few bikes with Grafton cranks and none has the insert, but none are as new as the circa 97 cranks mentioned. I too broke a set of cranks (on my road bike!) and they were replaced with a set that had the revised "teardrop" end on only one side. I was not happy with the look and sent them back for a refund. The story from John G. was that a sub-contractor had used the wrong alloy

rick

Zamfir

Hi Rick.

See the new Grafton thread in the "Retro MTB" area.

Trying to avoid hijacking this thread.

Z

Last edited:

I-ROBOT

Thanks for all the commentary guys...

Colour is going to take a while to decide upon I think. I do really like the idea of a colour matched rear though, seems in keeping with the original intention for the SAB colours if the catalogues are anything to go by. Dint think I've ever seen a Amp SAB with a painted rear. Scott, did any leave the factory painted or were they all raw alloy?

I want to get the B2 rear end sorted out first so it gets back to the original spec and then go from there. Need to reach out to Brion at Amp and I had to drill the bolts from the doner Amp frame to get the rear off. Need to get either a new Horst link pivot kit it some imperial socket head bolts - looks line a metric M4 but isn't.

I think I'll also colour match the Judy so it's an option but will probably run either a Judy SL or XC in stock colours.

I'll check the grafton for a Ti insert but I don't remember seeing it - I think it's just CNC alloy.

I don't remember seeing any AMPs painted in Somerville, but it's possible that a couple of customs could have been. Aluminum can be tricky for good paint adhesion
Scott

John

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting Grafton discussion. SAB looks good too, decide on a colour?

northerndave

The yellow's now gone, man it's nice to see it without paint. You really get a nice idea of the workmanship and detail of the build from a naked frame.

Interestingly I found the serial which was hidden under a heap of powder-coat.

Serial is 056P3SM

So, that says to me it's a 93, it's Small/Medium, but crucially does the P indicate it might be a Prototype? I know 93 is early for a Shock A Billy but what do you think? 94 Catalogue seems to hint at there being a few 1993 prototypes doing the rounds.

retrobate

Im affraid that you do not have a prototype. All the AMP rear ended shockabillys have P as the model identifier.
Have a look in the frame register if you dont belive me:)

northerndave

Hubba hubba

Just waiting for clear coat...

DSC_9379.jpg

northerndave

Not be described as 'patient'...

Clear coat went on yesterday, 24 to cure and i thought i'd drop a few bit on to see how it looked.. What do you think?

DSC_9403.jpg

DSC_9405.jpg