fork compatibility question

afterbang

Hey everyone. So I have some good news, and some bad. That Black 1989 Wicked that I ordered ended up getting damaged in shipping. I paid extra money to get it "professionally" packaged and I received it with a dent in the down tube. I have been working with FedEx who has agreed to pay out a claim for the full amount of the insurance money and I would like to put that to a new frameset. There was a hole in the box right where the frame was dinged so the inspection guy concluded that it happened in their possession.

I found a Yo Eddy frameset but the fork is not original. My plan is to get the frame, have it painted since the paint is pretty beat, and find someone that can make me decals for it. If anyone can give me a lead on where to get those stickers for the Yo, that would be awesome. ANYWAYS...

The frame is a SM and I was wondering what would happen to the geometry if I put the fork off of my Wicked onto it. I know this is not ideal and I actually do have a 1" Judy lying around but I don't want to go that route. Also, The Wicked is still worth keeping and if there are any recommended forks for that Yo, I would be interested to hear what some opinions are so I can start building a little stable.

This whole excursion in the the world of Fat has become expensive but luckily insurance money will be covering this whole fiasco. I plan on having the frame painted mint with a white splatter but don't want to have a fork painted that isn't worth the money.

Thanks everyone!

colker

You want a different fork, not the wicked.
First thing you need to know is what yr is your frame.. forks are slightly longer from 93 on..
You know what i would do? I would find a nice rock shox mag 21, Judy or Marzocchi in the 63mm/80 range and rock the woods.
The Yo is a stiff platform and i never heard anyone complain of adding susp forks to it.
those fat city forks, custom etc.. are too coveted, too much in the spotlight. I always like taking the alternate route.

colker

That's a real shame.. what they do your wicked since you made sure to buy something special, pristine. Make them pay!

afterbang

Yes, it's an absolute shame and flat out neglect on the part of FedEx for what happened to my bike. They are paying out the claim so I have 100% mint components to do a build with and plenty of money for a new frame. The seller felt super bad for what happened and I felt bad for him because he did everything within his ability to make sure it got to me safe. What can't be fixed is the fact that an absolute perfect Fat was taken out of commission which is very disheartening.

When I do find a frameset, I will either offer the Wicked on the board for cheap to someone that is needing to start a project or just hang it up in the garage. I am pretty sure there is no way to fix the dent other than replacing the down tube. I read some stuff about welding a rod to the area and trying to pull the dent or the use of dry ice to minimize it. Both sound like a long shot. For now, I just got some cheap eBay reproduction Wicked stickers and I'm going to ride the thing. You were right, the geometry is super responsive and a blast to rip around on.

I will keep my eye out for a project and this way I will have the money to find a frame that needs some rehab work and I'll be able to do a custom splatter colorway in the spirit of the old 80s custom paint jobs. The payout is awesome for sure but I would have rather had the bike come in the condition it was shipped in :(

greg

If it's just a dent, and none of the other tubes were damaged, then you can just have that section stripped, have it filled with bondo/brass, and repainted or powdercoated. I have been quoted between $400 and $600 for this with a full frame repaint by well-known painters, and I would guess you can get it powdercoated for $2-300 for the entire frame or maybe under $100 for just a touch up and blend (especially in Portland where there's a builder on every block).

Greg

theredchili

If you go over to RetroBike and search for a member called Gil_m, he will be able to sort you to with some decals.A bit closer to home , Rody at Groovy supplies them also I believe

afterbang

I was quoted $440 dollars to strip the paint and replace the downtube from TiCycles in Portland. Any thoughts on having this done? I received a check from FedEx for 1150 dollars for my frame being damaged as that's what I insured the bike for plus shipping charges so I have the money but don't know if that's going to be money well spent. It'd be another 100 for a powdercoat job....

tvcreative

take the money and run...wickeds are a dime a dozen. Wait for a YO fork and get both painted...with that much cash you might be able to find a newer one with a fork. How tall are you, do you ride an SM? There's a buck shaver for sale on the forum, that looks pretty nice. I have a SM if you are looking...it needs paint.

Last edited:

colker

take the money and run...wickeds are a dime a dozen. Wait for a YO and get it painted...with that much cash you might be able to find one with a fork. How tall are you, do you ride an SM? There's a buck shaver for sale on the forum, that looks pretty nice

Medium Yos are a dime a dozen too. Finding a small or small medium is tougher. He found a small/ medium..
I would have a rigid wicked w/ cantis and a Yo w/ a marz. Bomber, v brakes, riser bars and whatever needed to make it rip on technical singletrack.

Jcassano

Wicked fork

Are you interested in selling your wicked fork? I have a 89 wicked restore pending forks. It's the last piece I need.

RobTu

Are you interested in selling your wicked fork? I have a 89 wicked restore pending forks. It's the last piece I need.

Funny. Did you get the green fork from this wicked? IF so, looks like I'll be reuniting this wicked with its fork, unbeknownst to me. It's a small [Fat] world.