Team Comp 1985 ????

amajo

Hi people. My name is Andreas from Cologne, Germany. A dream come true...i found my first Fat Chance this year. The former owner told me it is a 1989 Team Comp. I have been told from helmut aka syborg that it could be a 1985 Team comp model (look at retrobike catalogue 1985). I am not sure...can you help me?
1. it has no serial number under the bb housing. does that neans it has been repainted...or what?
2. it has a boxcrown fork, shimano dropouts and is made of tange prestige tubes (3 decals at the seattube and the fork are in preperation to be scanned...because they are scratched like the frame).
3 can you tell me something about the colour. i want to repair/restore it and i am searching for the matching colour (imron number?).
4. the bottom bracket is also finished after this long period. i need new bb and specially a new spindle. the 113mm spindle seems to me too short for my suntour xc pro md crank. please have you suggestions of the right length...and mybe somebody have new bb, collars and a spindle for me?
thanks a lot for you help.
andreas

Attachments

• fat22.jpeg
    fat22.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 57
  • fat20-1.jpeg
    fat20-1.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 42
  • fat10-1.jpeg
    fat10-1.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 31
  • fat14-1.jpeg
    fat14-1.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
  • fat18-1.jpeg
    fat18-1.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23

colker

Agree!! Patina makes it look even better. Build it w/ 6 speed, vintage cranks and shifters. synergy rims and Pwood hubs.
sweeet frame.

mainlyfats

I'd say it's not an 1989 - it's earlier because the 89 would most likely have come with a unicrown - and what's up with that BB? Never seen one of those before - the super-model skinny collars are particularly catching my eye.

Nice pick-up. It's always great to see a box-crown!

bratfass

Hi mate,

the BB on Your pics is a WhiteIndustriesBB - I have a few for spare - so if You nedd, I can supply You one, and I have a few spindles in different lenghts

Hi mate,

the BB on Your pics is a WhiteIndustriesBB -

Yup I recognize that White Industries Bottom Bracket too! I went into white industries just last week to get replacement bearings for mine. They told me that they no longer make the cups so don't damage those but they gave me some replacement 2mm screws which they had plenty of.

Jon

amajo

repaint

thanks people for your help. i already restored the painting myself and a local painter mixed up the colour for me nearly 100%. it looks great with the vintage patina...good enough for years and a lot nicer than powdercoating.
gil from retrobike is producing my new decals in the same colourway including the nice tange prestige decals which were scratched already.
all the parts are ready to build...only the bb thing is on the run.
some german members of fatcogs are very helpfull to solve the bb problem.
thanks to bratfass/syborg and mostowie.
have a nice week.

Syborg

Hi Andreas,

I wish you a lot of fun to assemble the bikes. If you need help, please get in touch with me. You know, where you can find me.

Best regards Helmut