AMAZING BARN FIND (well, kinda) YO EDDY!

E @ DB

I've always been a big fan of Fat City Cycles, even visiting the factory for a tour back in 1992 or so, but never had the wherewithal to actually get my hands on one. Until a few days ago, that is, when one literally rolled through my front door. This bike had been sitting unused in a garage for many years by a family who had no idea what it was and didn't ever ride it because it was too big for any of them. It had been given to them by an old family friend and at some point during its lifetime it had received a simple but well applied coat of forest green metallic paint - which seems to me to be the antithesis of what a Yo Eddy should look like- but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Since there were no decals applied to the frame it wasn't immediately apparent what it actually was but after some checking, the answer became clear and I was excited. The family was mildly amused to hear that they had a real treasure on their hands but still wanted it out of their garage so after a little bartering, the bike was mine.
It comes with a full XT M735 group, and the serial number tells me that it's a '92. I removed the rear rack and U lock bracket, swapped the old Avocet Touring saddle for a tired old Brooks (for now) and put on a fresh pair of Ritchey grips. The bike rides beautifully and I have plans to bring it back to its former glory, whatever that was. I plan to have it resprayed in the Team Jersey colors or the aquafade finish.
I'm looking for the correct paint colors to complete this and would also appreciate any advice on frame painters out there with prior experience painting Fats. Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 95
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 56
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 59

afterbang

Having someone roll a 92 Yo frameset roll through my front door would be a dream come true... in size medium, that is :)

Congrats on the score, it looks to be in great shape. I believe I've seen the color codes for the aquafade paint job on retrobike. To me, the green doesn't look bad at all and you could always just throw some black/grey decals on while you find someone that can pull off what you want.

chefmiguel

Lucky find, a few years back I bought my Yo from an older guy and its metallic British racing green. So maybe yours isn't a repaint?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

RobTu

I'm with Miguel. Looks like it was purposely built sans decals on frame/fork/salsa roller stem. I like that stealthy look. Real nice find!

E @ DB

Lucky find, a few years back I bought my Yo from an older guy and its metallic British racing green. So maybe yours isn't a repaint?

That could very well be as it seems to be the exact same shade as your bike. Why would someone forgo the decals? You'd be nuts to ever lock this bike outside.
I like your yellow fork!

E @ DB

Got the decals from Velocals today and applied them this evening. I think the bike looks pretty nice if I do say so myself!
Now I just need to find some real tires!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Attachments

• Yo Eddy after decals 1.JPG
    Yo Eddy after decals 1.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Yo Eddy after decals 2.JPG
    Yo Eddy after decals 2.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Yo Eddy after decals 3.JPG
    Yo Eddy after decals 3.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 24

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
That's shaping up quite nicely! I'd put the tt decal on the non-cabled side though... and get some knobbies :)

E @ DB

That's shaping up quite nicely! I'd put the tt decal on the non-cabled side though... and get some knobbies :)

Thanks. I have tt decals on both sides, just didn't get a good photo of the non-drive side.
And you're right, I need to get a good set of knobbies but I'm holding out for skinwalls!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Great (and new!) skinwalls are the Timbuk IIs at First Flight Bikes. Pretty similar to Ground Controls.

RobTu

Contact Keith Anderson In Grants Pass Oregon one of premier bike painters in the US an Old Fat City painter employee and has access to all the original Fat Decals expensive but you get what you pay for.

www.keithandersoncycles.com

Robertt8883

Good tip; just checked out his site; nice!

Single Color: $550 frame and fork (add stem: $40)
includes hand-etching, primer, sanding, paint, clear, more sanding, and more clear

That's not expensive at all, considering the preparation and quality of work.

Jeeves

Beautiful color - congrats on a very nice find! Also, I'm a bit of a weirdo, but I think our bikes look great with slicks on them...but in the case of this Yo Eddy, it needs to get on the trails.