Ti Fat

Fattytrained

Hey there! FNG here! Currently in the middle of a deal to acquire a Ti Fat. Complete bike for around $1,100. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Frame looks excellent, few scratches, the toothpick appears to be bent, other than that, seems fine. :confused:

Fattytrained

No BOI

Marzocchi Bomber. mix of xtr and xt parts. Based on the photos that the fellow sent me, this thing was well used. Thanks Yo!

Fattytrained

For some reason...

I am having trouble downloading the pics. Anyway, I am pulling the trigger, got the "GO" signal from the wife and the guy (who's selling the Ti Fat) was kind enough to give me the option to return it if I'm not satisfied. I will definitely post pics when she arrives. ;)

rbrsddn

1100 sounds good. I have a 99 and know I wouldn't sell mine for that. What year/ size is it? And post pics!

MikeyNYC

Hey there! FNG here! Currently in the middle of a deal to acquire a Ti Fat. Complete bike for around $1,100. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Frame looks excellent, few scratches, the toothpick appears to be bent, other than that, seems fine. :confused:

Scratches in a Ti frame aren't such a big deal, you might be able to buff some of them out, BUT when you mention the bent tootchpick, just make sure that there are no cracks anywhere. Otherwise it sounds like a good deal!

Good luck with it.

Fattytrained

Thanks all!

It's a '93, size 16, might be a bit small for me...I was told that the scratches on the dt and chainstay are the only frame imperfections. Seems like an honest dude?! Not a done deal yet, promise to post pics the moment I get my hands on her! ;)

rbrsddn

I got replacement toothpicks last year from Wendyll in VT. 25 bucks or so. When/if you get the Ti, post up the serial # on the bottom of the BB. A 16 sounds like a size S frame.

Spikes

Scratches are easily removed with the scotchbrite method found on Merlin's website:

"Surface scratches can be removed with Type A (very fine) ScotchBrite, which is available in most hardware stores. Cut the ScotchBrite into a strip and polish the frame lightly with straight strokes perpendicular to the tube. To renew the frame's luster, apply a thin coat of household polish or wax with a soft towel."

I used the green Scotchbrite pads, they worked just fine!