1990 Fat Chance?

babbidge

Hi – I am new to the forum and am enjoying reading everyone’s posts. To make a long story short (hopefully), I purchased a Fat Chance bike in the early 90’s from a private party and have since been reunited with the bike after digging it out from my friend’s basement! I am trying to identify the model but so far, I cannot locate a serial number and was wondering if someone could offer suggestions. From what I can tell, it is a 1990 Fat Chance in lime green with yellow decals (photo attached). Thanks! -Dan

Attachments

• FC1.jpg
    FC1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
  • FC2.jpg
    FC2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
  • FC3.jpg
    FC3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • FC4.jpg
    FC4.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 15
  • FC5.jpg
    FC5.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 14
  • FC6.jpg
    FC6.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FC7.jpg
    FC7.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 23
  • FC8.jpg
    FC8.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi – I am new to the forum and am enjoying reading everyone’s posts. To make a long story short (hopefully), I purchased a Fat Chance bike in the early 90’s from a private party and have since been reunited with the bike after digging it out from my friend’s basement! I am trying to identify the model but so far, I cannot locate a serial number and was wondering if someone could offer suggestions. From what I can tell, it is a 1990 Fat Chance in lime green with yellow decals (photo attached). Thanks! -Dan

That's my old bike!!! It's an '87 Fat Chance. It used to have a Tange Switchblade fork. I sold the bike back in 1993 to a guy in Greenwich who had a Porsche 944 with a roof rack on it. The paint is not original. It was originally blue. It was sent back to Fat City Cycles Paint Shop in 1989 for the green re-paint. I installed that rock ring thing on the crank. I beleive it had a Mavic 1" Headset if I am not mistaken. So good to see my old bike again. Check the serial number. "87" should be in the number meaning the year. Cheers, Jon

babbidge

This is crazy! I am the guy who used to live in Greenwich and had the 944. Thank you SO much for the information. All I could remember was buying it from the Bargain News. I am looking the restore the bike and get her back on the road but wanted to learn more about it first. Thanks again; I may have some more questions for you if you don't mind!

Last edited:

babbidge

Thanks for the info, theredchili!
Hi Jon – did the bike look something similar (color-wise) to the attached photo of an ’87 Fat Chance?
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Fat24Side.JPG
    Fat24Side.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

babbidge

Thanks, Jon! I greatly appreciate the background of the bike; you have a fantastic memory! You have amassed quite an impressive collection in a 3 year span! The Fat Chance outlived the red 944 and I am certainly looking forward to the restoration process. I wasn

Zamfir

Great story!

It is really nice to hear how these bikes are generally held unto and cherished.

I plan to keep and ride my FC indefinitely!

babbidge

Yeah - great story right, Zamfir? I'll be sure to take better care of the bike this round!

Hi Jon - thanks again; I greatly appreciate all of the valuable info and advice! Like you said, it will be tough to try to match the original colors used but I certainly like some of the colors you chose for yours (power blue, green/yellow fade, etc.).

I just purchased decals from eBay but depending on what they look like when they arrive, I might be reaching out to Gil in the near future! I'll be sure to post my progress. If you would like any of the old parts from the frame (all original except the fork), please let me know and I'll be glad to send them to you (although most are in very rough shape).

Thanks again for all of your time and help!

Dan