wanna get into the game

Oysterboy

When I was younger I wanted a Yo but didn't have the $$. Now I have the $$ but no Yo. So what is a man to do? I have reasonable mechanic skills and the time so I would like to build from the frame up. Is ebay the best place to go, or just hit yard sales, bike shops looking for a used Yo Eddy. Clearly, this will take some patience, but fife has taught me patience.

lucifer

I am very active on ebay for retro stuff and honestly it is hit or miss. I just bought an extra small buck shaver for what I thought was an ok price but it has ultimately proved to be more of a project than I was anticipating for various reasons.

If money is no object then it is pretty easy. Just wait until a decent yo in your size pops up and then bid to win... just don't be surprised when you get it and it needs an expensive repaint. If money is an issue you should look at getting a buck shaver as the geometry is identical but the prices are way way lower.

Oysterboy

Thanks, lucifer. I built my stereo via ebay. I thought I would end up paying less money to get high end audiophile. While I did end up spending less and getting high-end, I never figured in the hassle-factor for the necessary repairs for equipment billed as "Mint". Overall, it is a great marketplace, but caveat emptor does rule the day at Ebay. I think the way that I am going to go is keep an eagle eye out here, ebay and network at my local bike shops. Is your enthusiasm for the buck shaver held by most in this forum?

lucifer

My enthusiasm for the buck shaver is due to the fact that I am a relative lightweight rider and I always thought that the yo eddy was too stiff.
I prefer the long and low geometry of bucks and yos to the more traditional wicked geometry but I also prefer my steel frames to be made from smaller diameter tubing, so for me the buck is the best fit. Your results may vary. Yos are arguably more valuable and collectible but you pay a lot more for them too.

Oysterboy

Lucifer,
I live in Gainesville, FL and if you come across a local Fat up there send me a line, only a few hr drive to UGA land.

lucifer

Don't take this the wrong way but if I come across a good deal on a fat up here it will probably end up in my garage....

Oysterboy

Yeah, and you're probably a Bulldogs fan too... I have been thinking about what you said concerning buck shaver vs yo eddy. Think I'm best with the Yo. I weigh 210 (probably 220 after XMas) and need a heftier frame. Rode a Yo maybe 10 years ago and fell in love with the intuitive nature of that bike.

lucifer

Actually I couldn't give a rats ass about football. I just moved to Athens because I got sick of Atlanta. You are probably right about the yo vs buck (I am 60 -70lbs lighter)

bushpig

What size Yo you looking for? I can keep my eye out.

As for audio stuff, I would be very hesitant to buy on Ebay. I buy all my used audio stuff on audiogon. If you don't know it, check it out. It is a like a permanent swap meet for audio fan boys.

Oysterboy

I bought an old Phase Linear amp on Audiogon, still in repair shop but I knew it would be a project. I think that the general quality of audiogon stuff is better, but you can get better prices in general on ebay, but you risk repair bills. What I actually ended up doing was buying mostly new stuff, just kept an eye out for good deals on the web. You can actually get some good prices by calling audio shops up and haggling, there is no reason to pay full retail in high end audio equipment, you just gotta know what you are looking for (probably applies to most things in life :D).
As for the bike, I am looking for a M/L Yo, vintage not that big a deal, and I am willing to start with just a frame, actually I would perfer to build it from the ground up. For the time, I am happy to continue to ride my F/S off road.