Everyone needs an Alibi

settemarche

i have been thinking about one of those.. is it too stiff?

you really must do it, should the opportunity arise. initially i was worried about the bike being to stiff as well. but, my wife really wanted an Alum bike - she likes the look of the big tube ;-). ibis has the feel of a Fat City West. kinda groovy. and this bike proves the point.

it climbs much much better than any steel bike i have. keep in mind i have not taken any of my Yo's out in anger yet. but my Buck, Voodoo, or Kona - not even close. compared to those bikes the Alibi seems to be flying up hill. quite a strange feeling. sometimes on the steel bikes i feel like i am battling to make progress uphill.

downhill was even more eyeopening. i thought it would really rough. but this triple or quadruple butting has done wonders. the frame is really compliant. very similar to a steel bike - whacky. right now it would appear that i am going to take this bike over from my wife and make it the front line rider.

get one,

Sette

colker

stop it! i don't need to hit ebay right now.. i am not listening.. lalalalalalLALALALALALA

you really must do it, should the opportunity arise. initially i was worried about the bike being to stiff as well. but, my wife really wanted an Alum bike - she likes the look of the big tube ;-). ibis has the feel of a Fat City West. kinda groovy. and this bike proves the point.

it climbs much much better than any steel bike i have. keep in mind i have not taken any of my Yo's out in anger yet. but my Buck, Voodoo, or Kona - not even close. compared to those bikes the Alibi seems to be flying up hill. quite a strange feeling. sometimes on the steel bikes i feel like i am battling to make progress uphill.

downhill was even more eyeopening. i thought it would really rough. but this triple or quadruple butting has done wonders. the frame is really compliant. very similar to a steel bike - whacky. right now it would appear that i am going to take this bike over from my wife and make it the front line rider.

get one,

Sette

settemarche

stop it! i don't need to hit ebay right now.. i am not listening.. lalalalalalLALALALALALA

wish i had known you were interested. i had a spare blue one floating around. i think i need to start offering up stuff here before Craigslist.

on another happy note. i found a better Sun/Ringle all black wheelset for that bike. looks much better now. Smoke/Dart in black too. now the wife will be a tad happier.

Sette

colker

wish i had known you were interested. i had a spare blue one floating around. i think i need to start offering up stuff here before Craigslist.

on another happy note. i found a better Sun/Ringle all black wheelset for that bike. looks much better now. Smoke/Dart in black too. now the wife will be a tad happier.

Sette

it's beautifull...
there is one last thing to do: lose the xt crankset. i had it for years. the moment i installed an xtr m952 crank it became another bike.
that specific xt crank is too flexy. either xtr or cook!

settemarche

it's beautifull...
there is one last thing to do: lose the xt crankset. i had it for years. the moment i installed an xtr m952 crank it became another bike.
that specific xt crank is too flexy. either xtr or cook!

you're not diggin on the XT? i am not the biggest fan either. the color is bland. the XTR does look quite a bit cooler for sure. but, i did just throw in a FSA Ultimax Ti bottom bracket - if i swaped out to XTR i would have to ditch it.

cook E would be the way to go. however with prices they way they are. not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. but, we will keep an eye open.

colker

you're not diggin on the XT? i am not the biggest fan either. the color is bland. the XTR does look quite a bit cooler for sure. but, i did just throw in a FSA Ultimax Ti bottom bracket - if i swaped out to XTR i would have to ditch it.

cook E would be the way to go. however with prices they way they are. not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. but, we will keep an eye open.

i never thought i could feel any difference but xtr 950 did it for me. it's not too expensive.. you can get it from ebay around $90.

colker

do those take a square taper bottom bracket?

nope. octalink. it's the grey xtr. bought mine from a fatcog buddy but there is plenty o ebay and going for less than square taper m900. m950/2 is contemporary of alibis.. a nice match. i love mine. i prefer standard to compact gearing.

settemarche

nope. octalink. it's the grey xtr. bought mine from a fatcog buddy but there is plenty o ebay and going for less than square taper m900. m950/2 is contemporary of alibis.. a nice
match. i love mine. i prefer standard to compact gearing.

sounds good. i might have a look. all the stuff on the bike is pretty new so i kinda don't want to pull it all apart again.

rode the bike hard the other day and it is insane. climbs and handles so good. going to put it up against the Yo i just built ;-)

Sette

colker

sounds good. i might have a look. all the stuff on the bike is pretty new so i kinda don't want to pull it all apart again.

rode the bike hard the other day and it is insane. climbs and handles so good. going to put it up against the Yo i just built ;-)

Sette

my ibis is one size smaller. maybe it's what i should ride anyway. 9.7in of seatpost showing, tight cockpit but the bike flows under me. very comfortable and smooth. unbelievably smooth.

Yo Eddy!

I have to admit I am always a bit biased towards aluminium, but I must say that with your positive review you've really drawn my attention to this particular model.

settemarche

I have to admit I am always a bit biased towards aluminium, but I must say that with your positive review you've really drawn my attention to this particular model.

Melvin,

i must say. if you get the chance to ride one i think you would be quite surprised. like yourself i thought it was going to beat me up. i have owned many an AL bike before and that was the case. but this frame is pretty sweet. the wheels and tires have been updated so i will try and post the pics next week.

Sette