Need Bottom Bracket for 90/91 Fat Chance

pdgreear

Hey all! New to this forum. I have a Fat Chance that I bought used from original owner in 1996, that has seen some miles. 90 or 91. Original was a red I think, then blue. He shipped it back to Fat Chance a couple years after he bought it because after dropping off boulders and curbs (big guy) he ovalized the bottom bracket shell. They fixed it, added a brace on the down tube up by the head tube... anyway it had some aftermarket mods by Fat Chance. He sold it to me and I rode it as a mountain bike for one season, but a little big, so I converted into a touring rig, in the spirit of rivendell bicycles. Had it powder coated safety orange. Awesome bike. ridden all over the northwest. Put in an aftermarket bb cup and spacer (aluminum) that worked fine until someone thought they would try and tighten it by spinning it (didn't know it was a press in...:mad:) Anyway I have limped for a year by dissasembling, re greasing, and trying blue lock-tite.

I need a new cup, spacer, bearing set-up. Any ideas on where to get one? Phil wood has an awfully nice website, but I am lost in technicality.

Dont want to scrap this awesome frame with so many memories, but I can't reconcile such noise in creak from the bottom bracket.

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED

From Idaho...

Attachments

• cityofrockssmiling.jpg
    cityofrockssmiling.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Magruder Corridor Salmon lookout.JPG
    Magruder Corridor Salmon lookout.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 34
Pictures of what you've got would be helpful. White Industries out of Petaluma, Ca made press-in cups that looked like a traditional bottom bracket but were actually press-in cups with there standard BB bearings pressed into the inside of the cups. I am guessing that is what you may have. If so the bearings are easy to get (I walked into White Industries a couple years back & bought a new set for $20). The cups they made are not made anymore & therefore wouldn't be replaceable unless you got really lucky & found a used set.

The other Option I can think of is to go with the Fat City Factory setup. They used standard sealed bearings, pressed directly into the frame (no cups) which are still available today (also used in go kart & lawnmower applications). Someone on ebay sells them. If you can find the part # on this forum they are cheaper if you order them directly from a bearing company I think. You would need to find a Fat City Spindle (someone on this forum may have one to sell) & the toughest part here would be the little alluminum locking collars which crack easily & are not plentiful. These keep the spindle centered. Others have improvised with steel collars. I beleive that Phil Wood & Cooks Bros also made replacement BB's but not familiar with them & don't know what's available today (Cooks Bros is out of business). Hope that helps. Hope to see your Fat back on the trail soon! Jon