What is a slim worth?

jh4rt

OK.. So I'm convinced to keep my Yo! But, I have a slim sitting in the garage which I never ride. I'm just not much for the road anymore; there are cars all over the place out there. ;-)

So, any ideas on what I might get for a 56cm slim in near perfect condition? It is black with a nice set of mavic wheels, mavic brakes, mavic down tube shifters, dura-ace front d

Spikes

First of all: welcome here! There is an unwritten rule, that you need to post a picture of bike as beautiful as you just described. It just isn't fair to have us curious Fat fans suffer like this. So please show us that Slim!
As for the value: it really depends on the market. Most of the time you will find that selling the frame and parts separately pays. I think a frame in the condition you describe will be worth around $600 including the fork. That's what it would be worth to me if it had the right size :) If on the other hand your frame is exactly the size and color and year someone has been waiting for a long time, value might increase. I think it is not too hard to sell yours, since 56 cm is a very common size.

jh4rt

Slim Pics

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

Last edited:

lucifer

The only strike I see against it is that downtube shifters are not really in demand anymore and upgrading from those to sti is expensive. Given that, i would say it would probably bring $900 -1100 dollars. I paid around $1250 for my indy fab crown jewel used and it has sti. The fat frame and fork is arguably more desirable though.

Last edited:

jh4rt

BTW how long is the top tube. If it's long enough I might sell my CJ and buy it from you.

I can't remember. I'm not sure I want to sell it, yet. I appreciate your input. When I was down taking pictures of it, just picking it up, the thing is amazingly sweet. Even though I don't ride rode (spelled wrong on purpose) that much, I might decide at some point to pick it up again, and this thing won't ever wear out. Just for sh*ts and g*ggles, I'll see if I can find specs on the top tube. If not, do i measure center of seat post to center of headset, or just the top tube itself? Do you want in inches or cm?

Upchuck

I can't remember. I'm not sure I want to sell it, yet. I appreciate your input. When I was down taking pictures of it, just picking it up, the thing is amazingly sweet. Even though I don't ride rode (spelled wrong on purpose) that much, I might decide at some point to pick it up again, and this thing won't ever wear out. Just for sh*ts and g*ggles, I'll see if I can find specs on the top tube. If not, do i measure center of seat post to center of headset, or just the top tube itself? Do you want in inches or cm?
Keep that Slim in your stable! You'll regret letting it go if you do. Newbury Park?! I'm in T.O. and a fellow Yo! rider. PM me or email me and let's hit the trails on some vintage Fats.

colker

Keep that Slim in your stable! You'll regret letting it go if you do. Newbury Park?! I'm in T.O. and a fellow Yo! rider. PM me or email me and let's hit the trails on some vintage Fats.

and it's black... one sleek machine. as much as i love mountain biking, road riding is a total gas. taking corners fast and feeling the bike gripping the asphalt, accelerating out of the turn, smooth, smooth. eating miles and reaching the other side of town like it's nothing. road riding IS cycling
hard to find ultra nice steel bikes these days. never mind steel forks.

lucifer

Usually they are measured center of head tube to center of seat tube along the top tube in cm.

lucifer

Hmm tempting. It's basically the same size as my CJ but that doesn't keep me from wanting it.
Private message me a price if you decide you are willing to part with it.
Thanks

sancho

If it fits, keep it! If I'm not mistaken that's one of the early 90's Slims made from Columbus TSX, which IMO makes it a bit more collectible than the True Temper tubed bikes that followed. Also, I think the old school Slim decals are cooler than the Chris Chance decals, but that's just my $.02.

If you really want to let it go and can't work out a deal with somebody from Fat Cogs (which seems unlikely), I think a good starting price would be to see how much a new or near new IF typically sells for on ebay and go up from there. It's not as light as the frames Independent is making these days, but it's way higher in terms of its "bike lust" factor.