Should I build up my '90 Yo Eddy w/ a Judy Fork?

I've had this 1990 Yo eddy frame for about a year. I bought it with no fork and a repaired chainstay. I managed to find a nice Judy 1" steerer tube & I have an older Judy XC fork. I know the frame is not suspension corrected geometry so am I making a big mistake by building it with a suspension fork?

Some additional thoughts:

I have a 1990 Fat Chance Team Comp with a rigid fork that I love but is a little tough to control on downhills when the terrain gets very rugged so i find myself slowing down alot. This bike is very light and quick to maneuver on the single track and it climbs like a billy goat Baaah! For about 25% of my typical ride I am wishing I had a suspension fork.

I have a 1993 Paramount OS with a Judy (w/ the England Air cartridge rebuild) and I absolutely love the way this bike handles when the terrain get's very rough, but this bike is pretty heavy and not nearly as nimble.

Anyone out there riding a non-suspension Yo! with a suspension fork? Any other thoughts on this? What are the big downsides to having the geometry off by adding a Judy SL to the front end of the Yo!?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Is the Judy 80mm?

I used to run 63mm Mag 21s on my non-sus corrected '91 and it was fine. Slowed the steering down a little, but was more comfortable. I was out west on fireroads at the time so I appreciated that slight slackening more than I might here in CT.

If you have all the bits, why not slap it together and see how you like it?

rmp

I rode my 1990 Wicked for short time with both a Scott Unishock (looked pretty cool against the Grello) and later a 63mm Judy XC when they came out in 1995. Neither did horrible things to the handling.

I wouldn't put an 80mm fork on it though!

IF52

I rode my 92 Monster with a long travel Mag21 for quite some time and liked it just fine. Granted a LT Mag21 is a bit shorter A2C than a 63mm Judy, but not too much shorter.

Is the Judy 80mm?

I beleive it is the 63mm. It's the original Judy XC that I bought back in 1996; I rebuilt it in 2001 with the England Air Cartridge kit which adds about 10-15mm in height.

I will take everyone's input and give it a try! I bought a 1" headset for the bike today which is the final piece I need to assemble the Yo!

Thanks,
Jon

lml999

I've had this 1990 Yo eddy frame for about a year. I bought it with no fork and a repaired chainstay. I managed to find a nice Judy 1" steerer tube & I have an older Judy XC fork. I know the frame is not suspension corrected geometry so am I making a big mistake by building it with a suspension fork?

Jon,

I've been riding an '87 Wicked Fat with a Judy SL for many years. The steering is just a tad slower and the front end is a bit heavier, but overall, it's a reasonable trade-off. Build it and decide for yourself!

Lee

Jon,

I've been riding an '87 Wicked Fat with a Judy SL for many years. The steering is just a tad slower and the front end is a bit heavier, but overall, it's a reasonable trade-off. Build it and decide for yourself!

Lee
OK, I took everyone's advise and built it up with the Judy. But I have a couple of questions. Here is a picture:
YoNearlyComplete.jpg

Before I ride it I need to get a longer seat post as this 300mm post is not long enough. Any idea what type of post this is?
YoPost.jpg

I am guessing a Ringle Moby Post?

Questions:

1) What size post does this '90 Yo Eddy need? I cannot read the size on this seat post.

2) The bottom bracket is the White Industries. Does anyone have any idea how to adjust this bottom bracket; it's a little loose.

It looks like a Cunningham or WTB fixed angle post. What's up with that?
It seems like a nice post; it's light with nice quality hardware. adjustment is a bit strange; it only has a single 10mm bolt on top which is tough when you've got the seat in place. I wish it were longer so i could use it with this bike!

IF52

It seems like a nice post; it's light with nice quality hardware. adjustment is a bit strange; it only has a single 10mm bolt on top which is tough when you've got the seat in place. I wish it were longer so i could use it with this bike!

it's not adjustable. You can move the saddle forward and back, but you can't adjust the tilt without removing the whole clamp and filing the top of the post, hence the fixed angle.

it's not adjustable. You can move the saddle forward and back, but you can't adjust the tilt without removing the whole clamp and filing the top of the post, hence the fixed angle.
Gotcha! By the way you nailed it with Cunninham Fixed angle Post. I downloaded this picture off of firstflightbikes mt bike museum under the Cunningham section:
Cunninghamseatpost.jpg
Looks like a dead ringer for my post!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
You could probably make back a good bit of what you laid out by selling it!

Track down Bushpig---he's got a ti Fat and loves the Cunningham stuff.