ti fat value?

jesse

Hey all,

i have a 1999 large Ti Fat with Yo! white on black stickers. You all know Fats as well as me so I don't have to tell you anything about the frame. Build is as follows:

White Brothers 72UL fork (original, needs a rebuild or replacement)
Chris King headset
Syncros 15cm/zero rise stem
Titec 118 bars
XTR 952 combo brake/shift levers
Control Tech bar ends
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Thomson seatpost
Avid Arch Supreme brakes
Chris King hubs, Stan's 355 rims, Continental Vertical 2.3 tires, wheels built by Dave Thomas
Salsa skewers
SRAM 11-32 cassette
XTR 952 front and rear derailleurs
Cook Bros E2 cranks, 175mm
UN-72 bottom bracket
Vuelta chainrings (need to be replaced)
Crank Bros candy pedals

Given that you all seem to pay a lot of attention to the vintage market, what would you say she is worth? I have a new 29er on the way and my Fat doesn't fit me very well, so if I can find her a new home and put a chunk of change towards my new bike, I will.

There's a picture of her here:

http://fatcity.colorado.edu/ti_fat.jpg

If selling her isn't going to be particularly lucrative, it would be more fun to keep her for occasional short rides. I love taking her on trails but any ride more than an hour and my neck is sore for days.

Thanks!

mainlyfats

It's a lot more work, but its always better to part it out. I'd say about $1100-$1450 complete and maybe $1500-$1800 parted out.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Parted out I think it could net a good deal if the stuff is in primo shape and cleaned, you have nicely done pictures+description, an ending tine on Sat or Sunday afternoon, and don't mind dealing with the hassle of breaking everything down and shipping it all separately.

Some of the mid-ranges of prices this stuff has sold for (YMMV):
(I've seen lower and higher, in most cases)

?? White Brothers 72UL fork (original, needs a rebuild or replacement)
$60-80 Chris King headset
~$40-50 Syncros 15cm/zero rise stem
" Titec 118 bars
" XTR 952 combo brake/shift levers
$5-15 Control Tech bar ends
$40-60 Selle Italia Flite saddle
" Thomson seatpost
~$80 if they are the old school ones, Avid Arch Supreme brakes
$200-350 Chris King hubs, Stan's 355 rims, Continental Vertical 2.3 tires, wheels built by Dave ~$30 Salsa skewers
~$20 SRAM 11-32 cassette
$3-40/$4-50 XTR 952 front and rear derailleurs
$100-200 Cook Bros E2 cranks, 175mm
$20-40 UN-72 bottom bracket
$5? Vuelta chainrings (need to be replaced)
$20+? Crank Bros candy pedals

I imagine the frame by itself could go anywhere from $700 to nicely over a grand.

Dr S

Ti Fats must be cheaper in the states then. A mint Medium Ti Fat Frame over here would sail close to around

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
For sure. $700 would be a poorly listed/bad end time example.

I think a grand is easily possible if done properly. Some people might like that it has Yo stickers, some no. And the bike is a large, making it more rare but also making the range of riders interested in it perhaps smaller.

kokies

there was a recent 99 that went for over $2,000 frame only. Not sure how this would do with the wrong decals.

Attachments

• Fat Chance Titanium Ti Size...pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 52

bonsaii

How is the New York vs Somerville frames valued? More or less the same?

I think the Somerville frames look smoother in details like the machined parts and, off course, the welds. The NY tubes are treated equal to the Somerville tubing, with the externally machined (tapered/butted) tubes.

Some will call the 1 1/8" head tube an advantage for the New Yorker.

Opinions people??

Last edited:

jesse

But did this sell ?

nope, i still have it. too lazy to sell it and am still waiting for my potts.

bonsai, we've got the same birthday! i'm one year older than you.

i don't know about value of somerville versus new york bikes, but i'm guessing collectors will pay more for somerville ones and riders will want the new york ones. i'd much rather have an english thread bb shell, 1.125 head tube and suspension adjusted geometry for a regular ride. those somerville bikes, even with the goofy down tube sleeve and unicrown seatstay, are still the s**t for a collector.

AB

Value

IMO

Complete bike = 1,400.00 - 1,600.00

Frame only = 1,000.00 - 1,250.00

Adjusted for the current economy

chainline

Km

nope, i still have it. Too lazy to sell it and am still waiting for my potts.

Bonsai, we've got the same birthday! I'm one year older than you.

I don't know about value of somerville versus new york bikes, but i'm guessing collectors will pay more for somerville ones and riders will want the new york ones. I'd much rather have an english thread bb shell, 1.125 head tube and suspension adjusted geometry for a regular ride. Those somerville bikes, even with the goofy down tube sleeve and unicrown seatstay, are still the s**t for a collector.

you get that pots yet. (snicker ) ahummmmmm :)

admiralpush

Selling Fats

What is the best placeto advertise Fat City bicycles for sale. I have three in excellent condition that I have no room for due to a recent move.