New here: Getting the Buck back on the Road, what has changed in Mountain Biikes?

Buck94

New here: Getting the Buck back on the Road, what has changed in Mountain Bikes?

Ok, back in 92, 93, or 94, I decided to get a proper mountain bike, and visited a place in Little Five Points in Atlanta. I remember answering the question about requirements, and I stated that most of my riding would be on pavement but also wanted a proper mountain bike for the trails nearby.

So they wound up recommending a Buck Shaver M/L (I'm 6'3") and the particular parts (I think I got the AntiGravity shock on my own - Lifetime Warranty!) and I've held on to it for all these years.

Buck Shaver, 1994?, custom blue fade/blend, M/L, LX FC-M563, DEORE LX, AntiGravity Shock (original fork still may be in an attic in Atlanta). It was a bit over 2k.

Disclaimer: Never a hard-core MTBer or even that much of a serious biker. But now I want to get out there and bike as I'm new to the area (Arlington, VA,). I'm middle-aged now and could use the exercise.

A couple of years ago I replaced the tires with City Slickers and did some minor tuning.

Now, I wonder:
Since the chain is rusty, as is the cassette, should I consider replacing/upgrading? Any recommended upgrades or NOS replacements?

All parts are the originals, I don't think there's TOO much wear on sprockets.

Rear derailleur can hit the spokes. Not sure if the angle of the last piece of frame that holds the rear derailleur is correct.

Topic 2: What has changed frame-wise with bikes? Is not a hand-built steel frame still desirable? I remember being told the frame was forgiving -- do modern frames compete? Seems like what was great years ago would still be considered great today. I walked into a high-end bike shop over the weekend and it seemed most bikes there were carbon fiber and priced 3k-20k.

Apologies for the long post. Nice forum.

I-ROBOT

Welcome Buck!

I think I speak for the group when I say you should post some photos of your bike for us to enjoy.

If the chain and gears have only spotty rust, they can be cleaned and lubricated. Check with your local dealer for supplies. I've seen some slick chain cleaners that are self-contained and clamp over the chain and you run it a bunch of times to clean it. Use a high-quality chain lube after you're done.

If your Buck is a 1994 Somerville model (look for Don't Tread On Me flag decal on the seat tube), chances are good that I welded your frame. Let us know what your serial number is (bottom side of the BB shell) and we can figure it out.

Enjoy
Scott

chefmiguel

Welcome, I agree with IROBOT fixing it back up shouldnt be too much trouble. And yes pictures help. Btw IROBOT, of my 3 fats, my Buck is the most often used. Thanks for making a Great bike.

Buck94

IROBOT, Chef,

Thank you for the welcome.

Scott, It does indeed have the Don't Tread On Me flag decal on the seat tube! Pictures soon.

northerndave

Sounds like you have a sweet bike nearly ready to roll. I can almost guarantee getting it back on the trails will bring a smile to your face. I might be bias though - I have 2 Bucks, one of yours Scott and a NY model.

Getting the gears working shouldn't be too much work, let us see some pics and I'm sure you can receive some advice on it.*

In answer to your second question, quite a lot has changed over the last 18 odd years since your Buck rolled out of Somerville. Hand built steel is still very much a popular choice, it's forgiving, durable and now increasingly competitive in weight terms. What has changed more is choices in geometry that seem to have moved us away from long low stretched out riding positions to more upright seating and controls. Partly comfort, partly advances in fork design that's necessitated higher front ends. Inflation has prob caught your eye too. What was a Yo new in 94 $1000? That would probably be getting to $1800 in modern terms i guess.

Anyway, i'm rambling. You'll have a blast on your Buck. They're great bikes and are a classic. You'll get more compliments on it than if you arrived at the trails with a $3000 carbon trek-u-like...

Enjoy. Oh, and get some pics up!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I agree--post some pics and ger 'er going again!

A Yo Eddy with a high-mid range build (XT components/Salsa stem/Turbo but nothing blingy), shoes, and a helmet set me back $2,300 in 1991. That's about $3800 in today's money.

IF52

Ok, back in 92, 93, or 94, I decided to get a proper mountain bike, and visited a place in Little Five Points in Atlanta.

Outback Outfitters and Bikes. I was a manager there back then. Not to derail too much, but do you remember who sold you the bike?

Buck94

As to who sold me the bike at outfitters in Atlanta...I recall the young man being very cool and informative.

Mike

Buck94

IROBOT, Chef,

Thank you for the welcome.

Scott, It does indeed have the Don't Tread On Me flag decal on the seat tube! Pictures soon.

I have taken some photos, sorry for the delay. Now I would need to revamp it 8 years later as its been spending sometime outdoors apparently as my frien built his house.

Mike in Buckingham, VA. 2020