Matching Rock Shox Judy SL Yellow

Doug Carter

Staff member
Has anyone restored an original Judy SL with paint or powdercoat? I'm trying to find a match to that yellow, and I don't happen to own an SL at the moment.

Can anyone confirm if the yellow is RAL 1018 Zinc Yellow or RAL 1023 Traffic Yellow?

Looks like 1018 is brighter but the 1023 might be more accurate to the original PC.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Ok, how about this... does anyone have an original Rock Shox Judy SL and a Pantone color matching book?

yo' djblu

i have a judy orig on my fat.
I have many many pantone books at the office

i will get the PMS coated chip number for u.

by noon.

:)

pantone chip love it the only way to go

yo' djblu

sorry for delay!

I just got my bike out i have had my wife's for a while

Attachments

• wholeFoodTOP_01.jpg
    wholeFoodTOP_01.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 29
  • tight rope.jpg
    tight rope.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.28.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.28.38 PM.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.27.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.27.46 PM.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.26.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.26.43 PM.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 23

fat-tony

Staff member
pantone colors

I am thinking Pantone Basic Color II Yellow 012C, Doug. It's pretty damn close, but would also depend on your primer color.

Attachments

• judy2.JPG
    judy2.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 22
  • judy1.JPG
    judy1.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 18
  • judy3.JPG
    judy3.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 16

Doug Carter

Staff member
Just for fun, this is why I wanted that information... I'm in the process of building an early 70s Honda CB350 into a cafe racer/vintage race bike. The aesthetics for the build will be an homage to the Yo Eddy and Fat Chance.

Here's a mock-up concept drawing of what it should look like when it's completed—

cb350_concept-sketch_002.jpg

Looooooong way to go on this, but it's been a ton of fun so far. And I figure my odds of finishing it are far greater than finding all of the parts to re-build my '93 Yo Eddy. :)

Here's what the CB350 looked like when it was new...
1968%20Honda%20CB%20350.jpg

Last edited:

Doug Carter

Staff member
Yeah, I think they did. Known mostly for their motocross forks, but the stock forks on the old Hondas of the early 70s were Showas. I'm making an effort to make them look a little more motocross/off road than they really should be. Normally, they are just a brushed aluminum finish.

fat-tony

Staff member
Yo

Remember this? It was modelled after your bike, Doug. I don't own it any longer though............It was a S/M and too small for me.

Attachments

• yo1.jpg
    yo1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 24

Doug Carter

Staff member
If anyone is searching teh interwebs for this info, I just managed to get a pretty good color match to Judy SL yellow with a more standard Pantone match of PMS 109C (coated, not a matte or uncoated chip color). The fork legs that I have don't appear to have a primer under the paint, and it looks like a single-stage paint—possibly an enamel.

:thup: