hippie tech suspension

fat-tony

Staff member
I have sent off fork for re-build. Anybody used the "hippie" before and how long did the job take? Were you satisfied?

rick

Hippie Tech

I used Hippie Tech last year to re-build my Mag 21 SL Ti. He is not cheap ($100 including shipping), but he did a great job, took about a week as I recall.
He has a tremendous amount of knowledge and access to hard-to-find parts.
A good guy, I would certainly recommend him.

fat-tony

Staff member
hippie

Well, it has already been two weeks and I have barely heard from the guy. I am sure he does a good job. I guess I am just a bit impatience due to this being my first Yo and I am dying to ride the thing the way I want. He is probably a lot more busy at this time or something. I have found some trashy rigid forks out of a bin at a local shop with a 1" steerer to get me by in desperation, but it just isn't the same as having a nice suspension fork or an original big Yo fork.

kuna26

Hippie Tech

Yeah, he is a great guy, recommended my Mountain Bike Action, Rock Shox, etc. I live in Boise and have had him work on many of my forks, not cheap, but does a great job, and has hard to find parts. He is a small operation and he is very detailed about his work. It is hard to wait, I understand.

He rebuilt a 97 judy SL for me, but did a twist and pulled the internals and leg seals, and replaced with Sid's, it still looks stock, but is now an open bath oil fork with added travel. It rides so sweet now!

Lowrider

Hippie Tech rulez,... i got a envelope full with stickers from him in every size two years ago, after the LasVegas show. I contact him about spare parts for manitou 1 forks. at this time, he was very helpfull and correct.

i lost the email from him, can somebody send me his address? i am looking for a Mountain Spring Speed Springs kit for a Manitou 1/2. Or somebody has some Springs for sale? Thnks in advance for your help

regards from a Swiss FATFANATIC

Lowrider

fat-tony

Staff member
karma = heard back from "The Hippie"

Just received the call I have been waiting for. My SID forks are basically non re-buildable. Too much damage. He is custom building me a SID fork with NOS Rock Shox 1998 parts with 1" threadless steerer and new inners. Fork should be complete by this Friday and shipped to me. I will post more once I receive it back.

fat-tony

Staff member
New NOS Rock Shox

Fork is Sweet!
Fork is a combo of the best available parts from model years 1998-2003. 63mm of travel with an aluminum 1" steerer. All NOS parts. He used the most updated and best quality parts from each of the model years with new internals. Fork weighs 2.55 lbs. I rode 17 miles of singletrack on it yesterday and was in heaven. It was expensive, but I wanted a new fork. Photo shows setup with a quick fix cable hanger so I could run cantilever brakes with it. I will later change to V brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 23