650 wheels in a Buck Shaver frame?

MTB Mania

Hi All,
Long time Fat fan, first time poster here,
Im looking to convert my Buck Shaver to a 650 wheel size. Does anyone have any experience with this?
My greatest concern is that the wishbone seat stays are just too narrow to accommodate a 650 wheel and tire. Furthermore, I don't know of a canti brake that allows for the pad adjustability needed to make contact with a taller rim.
Also, does anyone think this set up just plain sacrilege?

Thanks for any advice

rthomer

Paul Motolite brakes would work to reach the rim of a 650b, in fact they say they could reach a 700c. The rear tire is another issue, it could depend on the tire size, you'd have to do some measuring, or mock it up if you have access to a 650b wheel.

fat-tony

Staff member
I think old Avid Tri's are an option. Seems like I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong. FYI: There will be some geometry changes due to the bottom bracket being higher off the ground, but you probably all ready knew that.

MTB Mania

There will be some geometry changes due to the bottom bracket being higher off the ground, but you probably all ready knew that.

Yea, This is another consideration that may influence me to scrap the idea. I live in an area where the riding is smooth, fast, and curvy. Higher BB would be a disadvantage...

colker

go for a 26/ 650B combo. the BUck is designed for 410mm forks. Go w/ a 425mm and you can fit a 650B wheel... w/ discs upfront.

fat-tony

Staff member
Hi All,
Long time Fat fan, first time poster here,
Im looking to convert my Buck Shaver to a 650 wheel size. Does anyone have any experience with this?
My greatest concern is that the wishbone seat stays are just too narrow to accommodate a 650 wheel and tire. Furthermore, I don't know of a canti brake that allows for the pad adjustability needed to make contact with a taller rim.
Also, does anyone think this set up just plain sacrilege?

Thanks for any advice

Any luck with putting this together? How does it ride?

MTB Mania

I finished this build with 26" wheels for now. I'm still shopping around for a builder who might make suitable fork for the purpose. In the meantime, I was re-inspired by looking at the Rivendell website employee bike page; there's a bontrager set up 26-27.5 that looks interesting, although not very traditional ;)