Essential charcoal - 94' Buck Shaver

bonsaii

Thanks, DC, for info in Buckys thread!

Great name, Metallic charcoal. I use this stuff to fry fish and meat on the barbeque. :D

It's stunningly un-touched, so there will be some planning before building starts.

Some new pics of the treasure..

bns

Attachments

• buck5.jpg
    buck5.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 28
  • buck8.jpg
    buck8.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 34
  • buck6.jpg
    buck6.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 19
  • buck9.jpg
    buck9.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 24
  • buck7.jpg
    buck7.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 25

Butcher

Wow, That looks so cool. The first ride on that should be religious!

What colors are you considering for the build?

smittylube

Dang Arne,

Leave one or two for the rest of us to treasure! :cool: :D

How did you find that one? Is there any more?

Steve

bonsaii

Secret FAT place...

I'm so sorry guys, but if i tell you where these NOS frames are... You know..:skull:

All kidding aside, I found it approx six months ago at firstflightbikes. It stayed, until just now, with family in the US. This will stay in the collection.

I'm not sure how to build it. One thing; how many human-year is one bicycle-year?

Reason for asking: How would you build a 15 year old virgin? :cool:

Butcher

I'm so sorry guys, but if i tell you where these NOS frames are... You know..:skull:

All kidding aside, I found it approx six months ago at firstflightbikes. It stayed, until just now, with family in the US. This will stay in the collection.

I'm not sure how to build it. One thing; how many human-year is one bicycle-year?

NOS or new parts only for starters. With that dark metalic paint I think I would consider the blacked out look with some key gold anodized bits to play off the yellow/gold colored decals. Black and gold is a very rich classic look.

That neutral frame color would look good with just about any color I would think.

Bucky

Thanks, DC, for info in Buckys thread!

Great name, Metallic charcoal. I use this stuff to fry fish and meat on the barbeque. :D

It's stunningly un-touched, so there will be some planning before building starts.

Some new pics of the treasure..

bns

What a great color! *thumbsup*

What's that little white thing to be seen in the last pic? :D

RobTu

It will be easier to source period correct, great condition parts for this bike cause it's a bit newer than most retro rides.

This was an entry level fat, so I wouldn't go with too much high end stuff; it just wouldn't fit imo.
Some specific parts I would look for:

nice set of ceramic rims by Mavic
purple Ringle hubs
Purple chris king headset
(that's it for the purple, haha)
Deore XT kit
gold or rasta gold/red/purple kooka crankset

I would stay aways from black since the frame is dark as it is, plus other colors will make the sparkle in the dark frame pop a bit more.

or something like :p

Dr S

I had a very nice Shock-a-Billy in Charcoal last year with a AMP fork and disc brake set up. The Caliper was gold with red touches and green pads so I went for a mainly black build with a few Rasta touches (hubs, Chris King headset, bolts, QRs etc) and it looked great. Rasta will look great on that Buck.

Keep us posted on the progress you make, it's going to be a beaut!

Doug Carter

Staff member
Same color as my old Wicked Lite... in urban mode. Looks awesome in the sunlight.

wicked_003.jpg

wicked_06_002.jpg

Butcher

Same color as my old Wicked Lite... in urban mode. Looks awesome in the sunlight.

Holy purple bling! That's cool with the purple ringle bits. Is the bottom photo with the extra purple parts the latest version? If you ever get your hands on some purple cranks it would give it an even more impressive finish.

I love that metal flake effect as evidenced by my choice of the heavy metal flake fade on my Yo (posted recently in the builders section). Sunlight just makes it sparkle like diamonds.

bonsaii

Thanks for very good suggestions, people!

I like Dougs purple details on the charcoal, second picture is really nice! I'm working on getting hold of a bended segmented Tange fork (Buck/Monster) or Yo Eddy/BOI. How about turquoise style? I also like the idea of gold/yellow details to match the decals.. New or mint parts is obvious.

Decisions-decisions! Again...:)

IF52

Turquoise might be nice. If you're thinking about heading down the anodized path thought, I think 3DV calls out the decals better. You know, yellow and violet are complementary colors and all...

RobTu

Turquoise might be nice. If you're thinking about heading down the anodized path thought, I think 3DV calls out the decals better. You know, yellow and violet are complementary colors and all...

Yep...the los angeles lakers would highly agree ;)

bonsaii

Oh man, oh man! Now you all confuse me! Black, red, 3dv, gold, turquoise.. ;)

Black is easy and classy, though. Hmmm...:cool:

IF52

OK, bear with me here. As I have mentioned in the past, the shop I worked at sold TONS of fats in 94 and 95. Not all of them and actually not many of them went out the door as high end builds. A lot of them either had components transfered onto them from other bikes like MDP's black Yo, or were built with a mix of components as riders and not wall hanger. I think, if I remember correctly, the majority of Bucks we sold went out the door with mid grade components. Remember, it was the 'entry level' Fat if there is such a thing.

So, the point of all that is, you could do a very accurate and period appropriate build that is mostly black by using LX components from that era. Not only would it be a likely correct typical build for a Buck, but it would annoy the guys over on MTBR's VRC forum ;)