• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

90 Yo CBO "FAT BASTARD" TI Large Complete W/xtr prototype parts

Ranxirox

Testing the waters, I'm a little scared.

I would like to sell my Litespeed made "Fat Bastard" this is a titanium Yo Eddy clone originally sold by Cambria Bicycles. The frame is size large and is "Exactly like my yo".

The bike has been fitted with an original manitou fork in "pristine condition". the forks need new elastomers but I think I have some.

Litespeed stem, Ritchey bars, onza bar ends, Ritchey seatpost, Sella Italia seat, Mavic 230/231 rims, XTR "prototype" shifters, levers, hubs, brakes, cranks.

The Bad: A litttle chain rash at the rings (it is setup for the Anti chainsuck thing but never had one installed.) No decals other than the litespeed on the seat tube.

I Will check on the Manitou elastomers and take pictures tomorrow, the pics should be up by noon pacific time.

I have a price in mind, but I would like to see what is offered first. I have been told that these are totally collectable.

what do you guys think?:D

Last edited:

Ranxirox

Here's The Pix

90 Yo CBO "Fat Bastard"

Found this Qoute on the net.

Three years ago, Cambria Bicycle Outfitters commissioned Litespeed Titanium to build framesets with Fat Chance Yo Eddy geometry and Ti tubes. The resulting Lite Bastard (or Fat Bastard, depending on who you ask) is agile and quick handling on the single track and confidence inspiring on fire road downhills. There's a little cush that takes the edge off sharp impacts, and a kind of spring that makes climbing the impossible an everyday event. Litespeed is a great company to deal with: When I called to ask about the geometry specifics of the frame, they offered to send a decal set and catalog at no charge. Fabrication quality is very high, with smooth welds and excellent alignment. A ten on the grin scale.

Attachments

• P1000889.JPG
    P1000889.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1000891.JPG
    P1000891.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1000895.JPG
    P1000895.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 21
  • P1000899.JPG
    P1000899.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1000902.JPG
    P1000902.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000906.JPG
    P1000906.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000911.JPG
    P1000911.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000912.JPG
    P1000912.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1000915.JPG
    P1000915.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P1000926.JPG
    P1000926.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 35

Ranxirox

Another Dos Centavos

BTW I test rode a new $4000 plus Moots recently. It has a lot of new tech. parts on it but it just didn't feel like it was part of me Fat riders know what i mean by that. It is an awesome bike and the price is probably due to demand times rider ignorance equals a hard fought place in the market.

It's a shame what is avaliable to the consumer these days, I don't want to sound cliche but what happened to the beauty of the bike. I remember when simple was better, when did someone decide for me that I have to have disc brakes, Springs everywhere, ALUMINUM Blah!

Jump on a 22lb (or lighter) YO or Ibis Avion, or ? and there is a magic there that i have yet to find in these modern bike shops full of magic beans.

I must be feeling my age today. The day I rode the moots I was told to thrw away all my "old junk" and modernize. If that means pay more, get more, enjoy less, I dont wan't to.

Sorry for the rant.

rody

Hey guy,

While the "Fat Bastard" certainly has history, I think you'll find that it does not command the same respect and desire as the Fat models proper; and therefore, not the same monetary value.

At the time, this frame was regarded as a Titanium giant's opportunistic attempt to provide a titanium frame with the stolen geometry that made the Yo Eddy famous. True devotees were aghast at the blatant forgery and generally saved their pennies for a Fat Ti or XLM.

Despite the marketing blitz, the numbers were just not there for it, and soon CBO was blowing these frames out for a fraction of the retail cost...around 325.00 as I recall.

Aside from the history, the frame is a beautiful example of Ti fabrication. Litespeed had meticulous miters and their welders were some of the best in the business. I was always impressed by the clean construction and dependable craftsmanship.

Litespeed and Sandvik produced the majority of the Ti market for over a hundred labels in the 90's, often only the name on the downtube distinguishing them from each other.

You've got a beautiful bike...I'd suggest keeping it and riding it for many more smiles and years. :D

cheers,

rody

Ranxirox

Yo CBO

Thanks Rody,

The locals here ( I live near and build houses in Cambria) still have high regards for this frame. I was told that litespeed had experience and fat was still new to the Ti game(Blasphemy) when these were produced. I have a TI Fat as well as this bike and I have a merlin.

I used to work at Alpinestars and litespeed built our TI-Mega. Sandvik built bikes and produced their own tubes.

I have a Ti Fat, This bike, Monster fat, and a Merlin MTB. Any prejudice toward this bike would come from someone who has not ridden it. Impersonation is the greatest form of flattery and other than maybe stealing some business ( although cambria moved alot of Fats!) I don't think this bike harmed the Fat mystique in any way.

I am only willing to sell it because I think it should be ridden. Also becuase I have to many bikes.

Ti Fats are getting hard to come by. I think this is the next best thing as far as collecting. As far as riding it is the immeasurably different next best thing.

I chose to ride it and keep my Fat clean. I am over that now. My brother currently rides my fat and I am riding my monster (steel is real).

BTW I aquired the prototype XTR stuff when i worked at Alpinestars.

Thanks for your help, but I'm gonna sell it.

yo' djblu

If i didnt know better i would say i had the EXACT same bike. Although i just checked it and i dont have the anit chain suck mounts under the bike. ALL welds and tubing LOOKS exact. Came with the same sticker and that was it. I added some litespeed decals once i got it. I got it off a friend who used to race it rode i for a good bit and i gave it to my stepson as he LOVES it and rides to school every day on it. I will try and grab some snaps. Always wanted to know th history of the bike. Cool bit of history there with your bike.