Slim Chance numbers?

JoJo

I see where there are a few Slim Chances hanging in the forum. Any ideas on how many Slims were built? I am guessing maybe 1,000?

lucifer

I have nothing to base this on but I bet it is a lot less than that. A few hundred is probably more like it. I- Robot may have an idea for us. I know that I see 1 or 2 come up for sale every year and thats it...

mainlyfats

No answer for you either, but some of the older Chris Chance bikes that went back to the MA shops for refinishing came home again branded as Slim Chances.

It wasn't until NY that the old Chris Chance with stars decals made a return AFAIK.

It's pretty easy to tell them apart though. Lugs for one and 126 spacing should be the first clues...

I-ROBOT

Hi Gang

It's difficult to remember at this point but I would guess that we built about 100 or so Slims each year that they were built. I would estimate that less than 500 Slims were built in Somerville. I don't know if any were built in NY. I have no idea how many frames Chris built before he started Fat City. It is possible that some Chris Chance road frames were "re-branded" as Slims if they were sent back for re-paint or repair but I don't think that number is very high.

I don't think Fat City produced road bikes until about model year 1990. I think that was when we got our hi-dollar Italian frame jig. It would have been impossible to build good road frames on the old jig we had since it was modified to accept the oversize tubes for the mountain frames.

It was kind of ironic that the last frame that I welded was a Slim. I had just finished welding it when the electric company literally walked in, opened the main box, yanked out the fuses, closed it back up and padlocked it. The lights went out and I said goodbye - just about 14 years to the day today.

Scott Bengtson

IF52

...I had just finished welding it when the electric company literally walked in, opened the main box, yanked out the fuses, closed it back up and padlocked it. The lights went out and I said goodbye - just about 14 years to the day today.

Scott Bengtson

Holy smokes, Somerville shut down that dramatically? I knew it was an abrupt departure, but I didn't realize it was like that.

fat66

PM for Scott

:D
Hi Gang

It's difficult to remember at this point but I would guess that we built about 100 or so Slims each year that they were built. I would estimate that less than 500 Slims were built in Somerville. I don't know if any were built in NY. I have no idea how many frames Chris built before he started Fat City. It is possible that some Chris Chance road frames were "re-branded" as Slims if they were sent back for re-paint or repair but I don't think that number is very high.

I don't think Fat City produced road bikes until about model year 1990. I think that was when we got our hi-dollar Italian frame jig. It would have been impossible to build good road frames on the old jig we had since it was modified to accept the oversize tubes for the mountain frames.

It was kind of ironic that the last frame that I welded was a Slim. I had just finished welding it when the electric company literally walked in, opened the main box, yanked out the fuses, closed it back up and padlocked it. The lights went out and I said goodbye - just about 14 years to the day today.

Scott Bengtson

Scott, i sent you a PM, let me know if you did not recieve it
thanks Fat66