YO or BOI fork for my Ti Fat?

alcpt_1971

Dear members,

I am an enthusiast of Fat Chance. And it is my first time to up my concern to this Forum.

Please view pics in http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/album.php?albumid=91
, and give your comment about my Ti Fat. My frame has serial# 001T2M stump on BB.
I got the frame from bike second hands web shop in Japan. As soon as I had heard the serial# of the frame, I decided to buy it without check of the condition. I have never composed and ride this frame yet.
Now I am looking for genuine fork. I have no idea whether it fit to YO fork or BOI fork, and have no means of knowing.
I have heard that the prototype was made in 1991 in a thread somewhere. I knew BOI fork was made in late '92 early '93 as per http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86330
If the my frame is a prototype by any chance, is it the geometry of the frame with no front shock and does it fit to YO fork?
For the comparison, The Tange Switch Blade has the lengths in pics below, but it was gone....
Axle to Arch Length: 355 mm
Axle to Crown Length: 382 mm

Please advise to me.

Regards,

Hitoshi
from Japan

Last edited by a moderator:

I-ROBOT

If I remember correctly, all TI frames had geometry set up for suspension forks.

That frame is the first TI frame of 1992 but is not likely to be a prototype.

Still looks to be in fantastic shape though! Thanks for sharing - always good to see some of my handiwork is still around

Regards
Scott

Stingercut

Amazing and beautiful looking frame. Didn't know all Ti frames were sus corrected. As usual thanks to the welding legend, we all get schooled a bit more. :beer::beer:

alcpt_1971

Nador,

Thank you for your comment. But I heard Christopher Igleheart is so busy, and backlogged on orders of BOI forks.... I will wait the fork will appear on market in this site and eBay.
By the way, we know Chris Chance re-start to produce the New YO EDDY and deliver some frames now. Have you ever heard Chris Chance take order for only BOI fork for 26" and 1" head, not 29ers and 650B? I know he is so busy too. It seems it is impossible to do

Scott,

Thank you for your comment. We appreciate you offer sound advice always! :santa: All your comments become helpful for me.
That's just what I thought! If I would live in U.S., I would see you, and would request your signature on my TI Fat.... Please give me more information about old Fat Chance frame in the future!

Zong,

Thank you for your comment.
At the time Japanese agency, A & F Company dealt with Fat Chance in late 80's and early 90's. I recognize that they dealt with cool high-end manufacturer's frame & component. (i.e Fat Chance, Yeti, King, Grafton, Ringle & etc). I don't know how much momentum they had around that time in the world. Somehow they could import "001T2M" as I conceive.
I'm not sure what number owner I am, the "CHANCE" came to me very roundabout!!

Stingercut,

Thank you for your comment.
Yeh, the Legend:santa: is awesome. I need study a bid more...

Personally, I like looks of YO fork. Does anyone install YO fork on your TI Fat or YO EDDY for SUS? How does it feel? Should I give up my thought?

Regards,

Hitoshi
from Odawara, Japan

Last edited:

LeeDumler

There might be another fork option for you. I'm currently having a local builder, Jeremy Sycip, build me a fork for my 2000 Yo Eddy. He has built many segmented style forks over the years, and is very skilled. I've always been a fan of his work. His forks won't look exactly like a Yo or BOI fork, but will be of the same style and build quality. If you intend to ride the bike, I would suggest you give him consideration. If the bike is just for show, then keep your eyes on eBay. One just sold a couple weeks ago for $400, which is pretty reasonable these days.

When I receive my fork from Jeremy and install it on my bike, I will post pictures and give a ride report. My friend even has a 2000 Yo with an authentic BOI, so hopefully we will take both of our bikes out at the same time and trade off for a real head to head comparison.

DocChill

...it could also be a good idea to talk to Georg Blaschke (www.gebla.de) here in Germany - he made my "BOI-Replika-Fork" in 2012:

large_FatChanceTitaniumNo_099T3M3.JPG

Maybe that helps :beer:!

Cheers,
Daniel

alcpt_1971

LeeDumler,

Thanks for your reply!
I'm sorry fir my reply too late.

Please inform me your & friend's impression for replica BOI forks!
SyCip is famous in Japan among people who know real bike frame.
I heard SyCip has experience of making OEM products for Mountain Goat & Phil Wood. He is one of best TIG welder in Calfornia.
I'm waiting for your info.

Daniel,
I saw your Ti fat!
It's very cool and my ideal bike! Blue fade paint finish seems genuine fork.
Does he execute paint work?
I'm interested in Replica fork by Georg Blaschke.
I'm hate to bring you down to earth, but how much does it cost?

Regards,
Hitoshi

alcpt_1971

Nadar,
Your grello is awesome! The fork looks just like a real Yo fork. It is reinfirced by plates on backside of fork legs.
But does Georg do international trade?
Regards,
Hitoshi
Odawara Japan

DocChill

...Does he execute paint work? I'm interested in Replica fork by Georg Blaschke. I'm hate to bring you down to earth, but how much does it cost?

Regards,
Hitoshi
Hi Hitoshi,

the paint-work of my BOI-Replika has been done by a local professional car-painter. I paid around 150 EUR for the paint-job. I'm quite sure, that Georg will ship international - the best way is to contact him by e-mail: info@gebla.de

He is really a nice guy and I'm sure that he can help you.

Cheers & good luck,
Daniel

alcpt_1971

Hi Hitoshi,

the paint-work of my BOI-Replika has been done by a local professional car-painter. I paid around 150 EUR for the paint-job. I'm quite sure, that Georg will ship international - the best way is to contact him by e-mail: info@gebla.de

He is really a nice guy and I'm sure that he can help you.

Cheers & good luck,
Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks info.
I'll contact to him after coming up with funds.

My project is progressing steadily.
Please glance spec of my project in attached.

Cheers

Hitoshi

Attachments

• spec.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 16

mainlyfats

There might be another fork option for you. I'm currently having a local builder, Jeremy Sycip, build me a fork for my 2000 Yo Eddy. He has built many segmented style forks over the years, and is very skilled. I've always been a fan of his work. His forks won't look exactly like a Yo or BOI fork, but will be of the same style and build quality. If you intend to ride the bike, I would suggest you give him consideration. If the bike is just for show, then keep your eyes on eBay. One just sold a couple weeks ago for $400, which is pretty reasonable these days.

When I receive my fork from Jeremy and install it on my bike, I will post pictures and give a ride report. My friend even has a 2000 Yo with an authentic BOI, so hopefully we will take both of our bikes out at the same time and trade off for a real head to head comparison.

I have a SyCip segmented fork on my singlespeed. Very, very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 22

dlew

resurrecting this thread.

i'm having a replica BOI fork built by walt works for my FatTi build that currently has a suspension fork on it.

do these specs seems correct? i am away from the bike currently.

any help appreciated!

-425 axle-crown
-38mm offset
-1 1/8 steerer

colker

1 1/8 steerer?
resurrecting this thread.

i'm having a replica BOI fork built by walt works for my FatTi build that currently has a suspension fork on it.

do these specs seems correct? i am away from the bike currently.

any help appreciated!
1 1/8 steerer?

Stingercut

My NY made 97 Ti FAT has a 1 1/8th Morati Ti fork fitted with 425mm A-C ( not measured offset ) but it really does ride like a dream. IIRC the pure performance FATs ( Yo/Ti) have a 1.5” ~ 38mm rake and the Wickeds typically have a more relaxed 1.75” fork rake.