NOS Fat Chance BB spindles found!

rody

As most of us Coggers know, keeping the cherished old steeds running can be challenging at times. One of the most outstanding deficiencies I've noted is the lack of appropriate bottom bracket spindles out there.

I had the opportunity last night to speak with the original supplier of the spindles for Fat and he advised that he has an inventory of NOS spindles, ranging in length from 110 - 130+ mm. He is willing to supply these with a few conditions.

He has no interest in dealing with customers on an individual basis and would prefer a one time sale.

So, I am willing to do the leg work to get these out there, once.

These are 4130 JIS taper spindles, heat treated, for press in style Fat bottom brackets.

Cost will be 45 dollars plus shipping via USPS.

At the cost of the spindles, I'll not be buying a bunch to sit on the shelf, so if you think you may ever need one, now is the time to strike.

If this is something you would be interested in, post up a simple "me" on this thread. If we can get enough folks to make it worth the effort, I'm figuring at least 25, I'll start a master thread in the Classifieds, much like we did with the Yo decal repros, and we'll track orders by name and spindle length required.

cheers,

rody

Dr S

Great news Rody
I'll take spares for my Yo and Wicked- after all, they will be with me for some time so time to think ahead. I will measure up at the weekend

Thanks
Si

rsgl

BB Rundown

A little background would be helpful to me. What are the obstacles if any to replacing the Fat BB with currently made BBs, like Phil, Chris King, Shimano, whatever?

MikeyNYC

Rody-I'll take at least 1 spindle, but I have to go through what I have on bikes as well as in my spare parts to figure out which size I could use the most.

rody

Guys,

Coming up on the last day to get your order down in the classifieds section. Once again, I'll be doing this one time only, so if you ever "think" you might want a replacement or extra bb spindle, now is the time.

rody

MikeyNYC

Guys,

Coming up on the last day to get your order down in the classifieds section. Once again, I'll be doing this one time only, so if you ever "think" you might want a replacement or extra bb spindle, now is the time.

rody

Rody-I just checked my stash of Fat City/Cook Bros BB spindles and I discovered that I have 8 of them in a box!
What I currently HAVE is:
1 in 115mm
1 in 120mm
2 in 124mm
1 in 125mm
1 in 127mm
2 in 130 mm
I actually had no idea that I had this many of them when I agreed to order one...But since I already threw my hat in to order a spindle with your group order, can you (or someone else here) possibly assist me in figuring out what size spindle I would need for my 1983 Fat Chance that you so masterfully brought back to life? That frame has a 73mm BB shell and I will be using the old school original 1983 Cook Bros. Racing super beefy dog bone style crank arms that require a lot of spindle, so should I order another 130mm or is there something larger like a 132mm-135mm available?
Thanks!

Last edited:

tvcreative

Me? I'm in...

Would take a spare....length not too critical, not running an inner chainring. Would prefer 118ish

thanks

Jim