Fillet Brazed Fats

sketchy

Can anyone tell me about fillet brazed FCs? My buddy had one waay back in the day and I could swear it was serial #3 or some such thing. It was about a mile long and weighed a ton but I wish I bought it from him when he dumped it for next to nothing. It was around '88 or so when he had it.

I-ROBOT

I believe Chris hand-brazed the first few Fat Chances when he started Fat City Cycles. I don't know exactly when he teamed up with Gary Helfrich who convinced him that the steel frames should be welded.

I don't know how many fillet brazed Fats were produced or what the production dates were though. I came along after Gary founded Merlin (nee Kestrel) Metalworks and moved across the courtyard in Olive Square.

Hopefully some other Fat historians may have some more information or photos.

Scott

sketchy

I'm going to pick Rob Vandermark's brain as soon as I can about the early days. I think he told me he did some fillet brazing way back then.

sketchy

The fillet brazing Rob did was for Hall's Wheels, the wheelchair builder. He said he only welded unicrown forks for FC in what must have been '85.

rick

brazed Fats

I have an 82 Fat that is brazed. I know of one person with a couple and have seen pics of a few others.