What fat?

TC

I've just acquired a fat with 2 bottle cage mounts on the down tube & all suntour xc pro
Can anyone shed light on it?
I'll post pics when it arrives

fat-tony

Staff member
I've just acquired a fat with 2 bottle cage mounts on the down tube & all suntour xc pro
Can anyone shed light on it?
I'll post pics when it arrives
Going to need more info than what you have provided.................

mainlyfats

Frame is older than the parts. Serial Number should be on the bottom bracket, I'd guess 1986? It's a Fat Chance, or "Kicker" model by the looks of it.

TC

Apart from the Salsa stem which is worth at least a Million $$s l, I'd say investing in a l late 80s Wicked fixerupper would have been my choice :beer:

Cheers but pretty sure it ain't no wicked, bizzarly I'm waiting for a wicked to be delivered also from retro dude.
I've got two salsa roller stems now, think I'll sell em & retire

mainlyfats

Any good do you think? Do the parts lend themselves well?

A couple of issues: first, once the seatpost is out I'd be willing to wager that there will be a crack at the bottom of the split in the seat tube that will need repair. And repaint.

Second, if that's a rear cassette hub and you need to replace the drivetrain you might be in for a lengthy search, but if it's a thread-on you can go Sachs-Maillard and never look back. The shifters are OK, but don't offer true friction the way XT shifters do; there's always that slight divot that messes things up, so everything needs to be aligned and working properly.

TL/DR: Only fix if labour of love. Part out, profit and work on your Wicked.

mainlyfats

TL/DR what does this mean?
& I paid $350 for this potentially piece of crap :(

Too Long/Didn't Read

I think you'll get that back parted for sure. Cut the hubs out of the wheels so you can ship them economically (get the cogs off first), make everything shiny, take great pictures and start the bidding low. Those XC II pedals are coveted.

I'd make the seatpost someone else's problem.

That's just my opinion... In good, rideable shape that's a sub $750 bike. If you can get it to Fat-level trail-worthiness for $400, you're a better man than me.