Broken stem....

Spikes

Last sunday my stem broke. To be more precise: the front plate of my Extralite UL stem broke. According to the manufacturer it is due to overtightened bolts for a long period of time (how do they know: I use a torque wrench).

Anyway: I need a new stem. I could go for the newer models from the same manufacturer: the UL2 and the UL3, but I am a bit reluctant toward their quality.

Another option (though heavier) is the new X4 stem from Thomson. Unfortunately they are only made with a 31.8 clamp, so I will need new bars too. I do not know any carbon bars with a 31.8 size that do not screem their brandname with wild colors and stuff. I like the Easton quality, but boy: are they ugly today.

What would you do: take the risk with a newer model of a lightweight stem or choose a more durable Thomson with a ditto bar?

colker

Last sunday my stem broke. To be more precise: the front plate of my Extralite UL stem broke. According to the manufacturer it is due to overtightened bolts for a long period of time (how do they know: I use a torque wrench).

Anyway: I need a new stem. I could go for the newer models from the same manufacturer: the UL2 and the UL3, but I am a bit reluctant toward their quality.

Another option (though heavier) is the new X4 stem from Thomson. Unfortunately they are only made with a 31.8 clamp, so I will need new bars too. I do not know any carbon bars with a 31.8 size that do not screem their brandname with wild colors and stuff. I like the Easton quality, but boy: are they ugly today.

What would you do: take the risk with a newer model of a lightweight stem or choose a more durable Thomson with a ditto bar?

salsa steel and titanium bars. ultralite stem and bars? what were you thinking man?:eek: