Help with brakes

smittylube

Now that I have been riding my wicked again I am having a hard time getting the brakes to work well enough. I have disc on my FS and find I am riding too fast for my brakes. I tried new koolstop pads, cables and housings. I set the v to the cantillever at as close to 90 deg but I find I don't get the braking I got used to with the disk. I also tried cleaning the rims and that had little or no effect.
At this point I want a wicked with disk. Do I call Rody and have him make me up a new custom frame, try V Brakes, or is there a different pad the works well? Or do I just slow down. :(

Steve

smittylube

They seemed to work slightly better this morning. Possibly the sanding and cleaning of the rim helped, but needed some time to seat in?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve

DC

Your old cantilevers are never going to compare to discs. Getting that cable hanger as close to the tire as possible will help some, but makes them feel squishy. V-brakes would make a huge difference, as long as you can live with the looks of having the un-used cable hangers. And, yes you should also have Rody build you a frame!
DC

smittylube

Thanks I think I might try the v brake in the rear.. Not much to do to fit it , I can still use the cable guide on the top tube. Figure the one below the seat is like an extra brace :)

>>you should also have Rody build you a frame!<<

I am really thinking about it.. He can replicate a yo eddy with suspension and disc brakes. Sounds like an awesome thought to me.. Maybe even Titanium? I think it sounds awesome. I love the new technology personally, but there is no comparison to my wicked.

Steve

smittylube

I found Sheldon Browns comments and with DC's suggestion and a bit of thinking I remounted the pads further away from the lever (towards the wheel) or further out on the post, then lowered the y closer to the tire now it feels WAY better.

From Sheldons site....

Yoke Angle
(Degrees) Mechanical
Advantage

smittylube

Update..

Brakes work tons better.. the problem is I am going to fast.
bombing down a single track roller coaster do a blind corner, then someone is walking up- dang.. lock em up
:mad:

Steve