Take your pick!

ballred@aol.com

Hi!

I just found this site and am enjoying all of the threads and rides. I'd like to share mine.

The first is an 85 or 86 Kicker.

Let's see... It's got a really thick red powder coat, and the only things that are not original are the Grove Innovations Hammerhead bars and a first generation Deore XT index shifting setup. Note that the front derailleur is an original deer head Deore. Some fun other stuff includes the Avocet Criterium saddle (which I love), and the extreme retro under chainstay Suntour Power Cam Brake. It has not, unfortunately, been ridden in a while.

The second is a circa 93 Slim Chance in Team colors.

It was definitely made in Sommervile.

I got it after finishing a marathon with the intent of doing a century. I never made it, but I did race in some run/bike duathlons and got as far as 60 mile one afternoon. It was built up with the 93 Campagnolo Record Ergopower gruppo which I think was the 2nd generation.

Two things: I can't find a serial number. Where would one be if there is one? Second, a member of my family crunched the front derailleur and I would love to find a vintage replacement. I am scouring E-Bay, but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

I wish I had all of my old team kit. I had a bunch of stuff like bibs, hot and cold weather jerseys and T's but it seems to have all melted away.

I'm not much of a picture poster so I hope the pictures come through and that you like them.

Brian

Attachments

• DSCN0354.JPG
    DSCN0354.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0353.JPG
    DSCN0353.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0355.JPG
    DSCN0355.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 31

AB

serial numbers

Brian,

All serial numbers should be stamped on the bottom bracket shell - just turn the bike over. Also is that stem original on your Kicker?

Cheers,

AB

sancho

Nice bikes. I'm still kicking myself for passing up a 54 Slim the same color as yours when it popped up on ebay a couple of years ago.

I have a 93 Slim that has been to hell and back but still going strong. That TSX tubing is bombproof.

By the way, if you ever decide to part with that Hammerhead please let me know. I've got a Grove that could use one. (maybe trade? I've got a couple of long sleeve jerseys the same color as your Slim).

ballred@aol.com

Hi:

The stem on the Kicker is a one piece unit with the bars. It was made of heat treated steel which allowed it to be lighter but still strong.

I guess that if the serial number is on the bottom bracket mine doesn't have one. I did look there.

I'll let you know on the bars. It would be really tough to find a replacement. Besides, I have a feeling that I'd have to lose a lot more weight before I could get into any jerseys other than shorts. I got to be a pretty big critter for a while (one of the reasons I wasn't riding much)! Now I'm about 2/3 the man I used to be and am thinking of picking riding up again.

rick

Slim

Brian,

nice bikes! What size is your Slim? I have a 60 Slim in the same colors, but built up with Dura Ace. They could be twins.

rick