yet another Ti Fat

laffeaux

Here's a few pics of my '93 Titanium Fat in size M/L.. I picked the frame up on eBay in late winter and built it up to race at Keyesville. Highlights are the Big One Inch fork, Syncros Ti seat post, White Brothers Ti riser bar, and m900 XTR components.

The early Ti frames all came with the same size (read: SHORT) head tube. It's a bit odd to me that they went to all of the trouble of making special gussets and mounts for the frame, yet didn't spec an increasingly taller head tube. Any clue why?

Attachments

• 100_0669.jpg
    100_0669.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_0663.jpg
    100_0663.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0664.jpg
    100_0664.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0666.jpg
    100_0666.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 44

Upchuck

I don't know the answer to your question, EL, but that sure was a great time up in Keyesville. The bike looked great on course, too. I'll be bringing mine next year.

smittylube

That looks killer!

What does a rig like that weigh? <20# ?

Not trying to hijack the thread but since you both are ti savvy......

How do you compare the ride of the ti fats to say a wicked or yo?
Any idea about some of the other ti bikes like the ybb seems kind of interesting to me..
I bought an older FS bike a year & 1/2 ago - but after fixing up and lightening my wicked a bit I find I love riding it much more, WAY faster climbing, fantastic in single track (duh), just a bit sketchy on the rough rocky, root sections, and really fast rutted out fire roads..

Steve

laffeaux

That looks killer!

What does a rig like that weigh? <20# ?

According to my bathroom scales it's in the 22 to 22.5 pound range. The Ti frame saves some weight over the steel version, but it's not that much. The Ti bars actually add weight over an aluminum bar, but the Ti looks nice.

I used to own a steel Yo, but it's been a few years. The Ti bike climbs great, and feels good picking your line through tight and slow places. I'm not crazy about the high speed handling, but that's likely largely a result of the tires, which have always given me a sketchy ride - I put them on because I liked the way the red looked, but I really should put tires on it that actually work. ;)