1995 Yo Eddy - Made in Somerville?

reforminded

Howdy All--
I have a quick question about Fat Chance production in that murky 1994-95 time frame. I recently found a line on a factory stock 1995 Yo Eddy w/ Rock Shox Judy option that looks to be all original. What has me confused is that this frame has a "Made in Massachusetts" sticker right where it should be, but I was under the impression that for model year 1995 all production had moved to Saratoga. It is a suspension corrected frame in Sapphire fade, and matches up perfectly with the factory photo's from the 1995 catalog. Can some one fill me in on what might be going on with this one? Were there frames made in Somerville in 1994 for the '95 model year? Any info is appreciated...I am waiting for a response from the seller with the serial number so I can try to date it that way.

I-ROBOT

There were many frames that were in progress in Somerville in October 1994 when the power company barged in and pulled the fuses (literally). All of those were brought to NY to be finished and sold. Any of those bikes would have a 1994 Fat City Somerville serial number unless they were changed in NY somehow. I have no knowledge of that and cannot confirm. I don't think there would be any reason for them to change or alter serial numbers that were already stamped into bottom brackets but, again, I have no actual knowledge. My guess is that only Chris Chance could say for certain. If I had to put a number on it, I would say that there were between 200 - 300 frames in various stages of production when the doors in Somerville closed. It is likely that there were tack welded frames, fully welded frames, fully welded and brazed frames, and finished painted frames of all models and sizes. It is unlikely that anybody could decipher what stage any frame was in when it was trucked to NY. Again, if records exist, Chris would have had them (maybe Wendyll now:eek:)

Any Fat bike with a 1995-format serial number would have been fit, welded, and finished in NY.

That's the best answer I can give you.

Happy Trails
Scott

reforminded

Received serial number and it is a 1994 frame for sure...but fully equipped with a part spec and paint job straight out of the 1995 catalog. My guess is finished in 1994 in Somerville, trucked to Saratoga, sold during 1995?