Now I'm giddy!!!

IF52

Yep, but I'm trying to keep from getting too giddy until I have the frame in hand :D

This frame came up on eBay again and I fully expected to get outbid at the last second like I did last time it sold. I think the fact that the seller had a reserve and a buy it now scared some people off. Well, last day of the auction he lowered the reserve and the rest is history.

My wife is going to kill me.

The Ibis SS is officially full on for sale now by the way. It goes on ebay this weekend.

Attachments

• YoEddyXL97.jpg
    YoEddyXL97.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 34

IF52

Congratulations! Im jealous you got a large. Good looking frame!

Not large, Xlarge. Either would work, but XL has a bit longer top tube which I like. And as nice as it would be to have a Somerville, they didn't do an XL back then nor a 1 1/8th headtube, which this has.

lucifer

Who cares where it was welded. Thats a lifetime bike right there. It should take an 80mm fork reasonably well and it shouldn't have any component issues. I hope you love it because it will probably be with you a long long time.

IF52

Yeah, no doubt. That was one of the things I was concerned with. The somewhat more modern suspension corrected geometry and 1 1/8th headtube were major considerations for me. As desirable as the Somerville frames are to some folks that factor is easily overshadowed by how hard it can be to keep them running. For example when I had my IF built it was designed around a long for the time Manitou EFC long travel, so a 80mm or so fork will work on it OK, but how easy is it to find a 1 inch steerer ~80mm fork now? Hell, even 80 1 1/8th are getting fewer and far between in fork product lines. Now compound that with a Somerville frame that was suspension corrected for maybe a Mag21 AND has a 1 inch headtube. Only choice becomes rigid after a while. That is all well and good, but sometimes a little cushion is nice.

So this bike gets the Z.2 Bomber for now and the Monster gets a Groovy BOI in the next few months.

By the way, wife may be working in your neck of the woods coming up in the next month or so. I may try and tag along on a trip and see old friends. I'll let you know what pans out. Maybe we can hook up with some of the old gang.

lucifer

Yeah, no doubt. That was one of the things I was concerned with. The somewhat more modern suspension corrected geometry and 1 1/8th headtube were major considerations for me. As desirable as the Somerville frames are to some folks that factor is easily overshadowed by how hard it can be to keep them running. For example when I had my IF built it was designed around a long for the time Manitou EFC long travel, so a 80mm or so fork will work on it OK, but how easy is it to find a 1 inch steerer ~80mm fork now? Hell, even 80 1 1/8th are getting fewer and far between in fork product lines. Now compound that with a Somerville frame that was suspension corrected for maybe a Mag21 AND has a 1 inch headtube. Only choice becomes rigid after a while. That is all well and good, but sometimes a little cushion is nice.

So this bike gets the Z.2 Bomber for now and the Monster gets a Groovy BOI in the next few months.

By the way, wife may be working in your neck of the woods coming up in the next month or so. I may try and tag along on a trip and see old friends. I'll let you know what pans out. Maybe we can hook up with some of the old gang.

That would be rockin!
Email me the details when you get the plans firmed up.
there is decent riding to be had around athens or we can head north.

fat-tony

Staff member
That would be rockin!
Email me the details when you get the plans firmed up.
there is decent riding to be had around athens or we can head north.

I don't mean to highjack here, but North GA is not too far for me. Bull Mountain, Ellijay, etc. If you guys are wanting to keep it low key, I understand, but if you are wanting to make a little FAT gathering out of it, give me a shout. I am always up for riding.

IF52

That would be great, except I probably won't be bringing a bike down with me. Maybe I'll find Big Scott V while I'm there and swipe one of his for a day

lucifer

Barring that you can ride my buckshaver. Its a medium but it has a 425 post and the stem is pretty well spaced up.

IF52

OK, apparently I must have had a bong attached to my lips or something. :redface: I'm not sure why I was thinking this frame was a 97 and used an 1 and 1/8th fork. DUH! It is a 95 and uses a 1 inch.

And weirder than my obvious head up the arse moment, while this frame is more than obviously a Yo and based on serial number pretty obviously a 95 and XL, there is no size XL in the catalog for 95.

It's been one of those weeks. I bought a NOS Judy SL from another listing that was listed a having 1 inch steerer that I was going to slap on the IF. When I got it I immediately saw it was 1 1/8. I figured oh well, I'll use it on the Yo! still in my delusional state of thinking it was a later frame with an 1 1/8th. Now I'm puzzled about what to uses as a fork for this bike. I have a P2 I can use for now, but that will have to go eventually.

Last edited:

jh4rt

OK, apparently I must have had a bong attached to my lips or something. :redface: I'm not sure why I was thinking this frame was a 97 and used an 1 and 1/8th fork. DUH! It is a 95 and uses a 1 inch.

And weirder than my obvious head up the arse moment, while this frame is more than obviously a Yo and based on serial number pretty obviously a 95 and XL, there is no size XL in the catalog for 95.

It's been one of those weeks. I bought a NOS Judy SL from another listing that was listed a having 1 inch steerer that I was going to slap on the IF. When I got it I immediately saw it was 1 1/8. I figured oh well, I'll use it on the Yo! still in my delusional state of thinking it was a later frame with an 1 1/8th. Now I'm puzzled about what to uses as a fork for this bike. I have a P2 I can use for now, but that will have to go eventually.
The appropriate fork is rigid and has a name like "BOI", "Yo Eddy", or "Groovy Ho Down"!

;-)

You'll be a lot happier if you put a nice plush rigid fork on it. My suggestion is the Groovy, but Rody can make you whichever.

IF52

The appropriate fork is rigid and has a name like "BOI", "Yo Eddy", or "Groovy Ho Down"!

;-)

You'll be a lot happier if you put a nice plush rigid fork on it. My suggestion is the Groovy, but Rody can make you whichever.

Well, technically the BOI would have been the most appropriate rigid fork. I already have one on order from Rody for my Monster Fat. I was really hoping to put the Judy on the Yo! though since it would have been most likely to have been spec'ed on that bike and was what Fat provided to their 'Pro' team at the time.

I'll probably ride on it with the P2 for a while, then throw in an order for a BOI for this new bike once Rody wraps up the other BOI and repair of the Brew. I'm sure he's got nother better to do anyway ;)

I still can't even begin to imagine how '97 got stuck in my head. Aging sucks.

lilredvette2

Congrats on the chameleon fade (my personal favorite). I myself have a 1996 Yo chameleon. By the way where in Ohio are you? I was born and raised in Akron.

IF52

Yeah thanks, I dig the Chameleon fade too. My friend Tyson had one and I always thought it looked nice. I kind of like Aqua fade better, but not by too much.

I'm in Akron actually. But moved here from Atlanta after growing up in North Palm Beach FL.

midtnss

Thats Funny

I had your Ibis SS 1743 until today when I traded it for a 90 Yo. It was stripped, primered, and about to be repainted. I got the Yo frame, Salsa Stem, and a True Temper with Fat Chance Logo Bar. Now to get it on Rody's list!

IF52

I had your Ibis SS 1743 until today when I traded it for a 90 Yo. It was stripped, primered, and about to be repainted. I got the Yo frame, Salsa Stem, and a True Temper with Fat Chance Logo Bar. Now to get it on Rody's list!

For real? Did you buy it from that guy in AZ or NV or where ever out west? I bought it from him originally and then he bought it back when I sold it. Wish I had kept it, it rode nice.

midtnss

Yeah, that's it

I was looking for a Yo when I stumbled across the Ibis, then the mechanic in my LBS heard the story and offered a trade. He has another Yo and a Monster so an Ibis is a nice addition to his collection. I filled every ding and primered the Ibis, its perfect now, got a set of original decals. I'll post up a pic when he gets it painted, did ride great. I'll also get some pics of his 91 Monster Fat, all DX, he got it almost unridden. Its as good as museum piece!