1" quill MTB stem

Jack Lantern

I'm putting together an old Bontrager for a friend and I'm needing a 1" quill stem to finish it off. I know I could go threadless with a quill adaptor or use a threadless steerer fork but I already have a nice threaded suspension fork installed. My friend has kind of a bad back and shoulders but wants to start getting out on the trails again so I'm looking for a relatively short and high stem, say a 90mm to 110mm with a 10 to 15 degree rise. Been looking for a Salsa, Control Tech, Ritchey, Waterford, or even a Tioga T-Bone but no luck yet. A cable stop is not crucial as the bike will have a suspension fork but since it's going on a nice old Bontrager I would like to find something just a tad nicer than say a Kalloy Uno or the like. Anybody got anything???

Thanks to all...

BTW - I have a Salsa stem I got new in 1989 that I would be interested in trading for the above mentioned stem. I used it for a year and it's been sitting in my tool box since. Actually It's exactly what I'm looking for just minus the roller, but I just can't bring myself to cut it off. It's a 110mm reach, pretty high rise (about 10 to 15 degrees), and is black with the white decals. I can post a picture if someone is interested. Thx

Last edited:

rumpfy

Hey JL, I might have a couple stems that would work.

I'll get some pics of them and send them off to you (or post them here).

I was trying to get some Dirt Drops to work on a bike and all the stems had the right rise, but not enough length.

A couple generics and one Tioga T-bone that should fit the bill in terms of period correctness and size. I'd say it's about a 110 with...oh...30* rise? 1" quill.

I'll follow up with some pics when I dig them up.

I'm interested in that Salsa stem for a project of mine...it has a cable guide though right (but not roller)?
I'd be curious to see a picture of it.

email direct if you want. rumpfy(at)gmail(dot)com

Jack Lantern

Here's a picture of the Salsa stem. FYI - the expander bolt & wedge are not included, I forgot that I used them on another Salsa stem years ago. Very standard size, should be no problem locating a suitable replacement. Total quill length is 13cm and the stock silver top cap that holds the expander bolt is provided. Again no rust and I give the decals an 8 outta 10, just a few scuffs.

Attachments

• Salsa stem1.jpg
    Salsa stem1.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Salsa stem2.jpg
    Salsa stem2.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 41