700c cross fork

Jack Lantern

Okay I know, not the right place to be asking but I figure some of you mugs might be into cross as well. I need a 700c cyclocross fork for my Bontrager CX. Something steel and straight bladed would be too swell although carbon would be a close second, 1" threadless steerer of course. Anyone got something kickin' around?? I might have something to trade if interested (Bontrager frame decals?).

Shaun K

...here's a pic for ya...:D

Yeah I saw it on VRC...I came here to drown my sorrows by looking at other bikes I can't have...but no you had to follow me here and rub it in ;)

So is there any source for the Bonty decals anymore? I need Road Lite and square panel OR's.

Jack Lantern

All I have are a few sets of original cheveron-style decals. Wasn't there a guy on the VRC who was reproducing all the Bonty decals? I think he was in the UK and last I saw he had them made and was shipping them. The clarity of the square panel ones wasn't quite as good as the originals but since originals are next to impossible to find it's probably one of the only options. I think he had said the road decals would be cleaner, if I remember right. I have his mtbr username somewhere if you want it.

Shaun K

Saw those threads, posted in them a while back, pm'd the guy, no response from anyone. I've needed decals for 2 years, but it figures that they would be made up during the 3-4 months that I was occupied with work/family and forgot about my projects for a while. :mad:

Jack Lantern

Saw those threads, posted in them a while back, pm'd the guy, no response from anyone. I've needed decals for 2 years, but it figures that they would be made up during the 3-4 months that I was occupied with work/family and forgot about my projects for a while. :mad:

Chickidy-check your PM's...

Kirk Pacenti

Cool!

...here's a pic for ya...:D

There is a very good chance I built that frame!

FWIW, we used Steelman forks for most of those bikes... We also used a Tange "Silhouette" fork which we modified by adding canti bosses to.

Another interesting note is that we were building "29'ers" with these frames by adding Race Lite chainstays and a couple other mods... Unfortunately, the only tires available at the time were the Panaracer Smoke in a 45mm width. Not much of a real MTB tire imo.

Cheers,

KP

Last edited:

Jack Lantern

There is a very good chance I built that frame!

FWIW, we used Steelman forks for most of those bikes... We also used a Tange "Silhouette" fork which we modified by adding canti bosses to.

Another interesting not is that we were building "29'ers" with these frames by adding Race Lite chainstays and a couple other mods... Unfortunately, the only tires available at the time were the Panaracer Smoke in a 45mm width. Not much of a real MTB tire imo.

Cheers,

KP

Wow, right on! Say, could you shed some light on the fork rake of these frames? Ridesmarter had stated the medium sized frame (mine) used a 32mm rake fork which sounds awefully short to me. Does that sound right to you? I did finally find a 38mm fork and it should be here any day now. Think that will foul up the ride quality? :confused:

Kirk Pacenti

Wow, right on! Say, could you shed some light on the fork rake of these frames? Ridesmarter had stated the medium sized frame (mine) used a 32mm rake fork which sounds awefully short to me. Does that sound right to you? I did finally find a 38mm fork and it should be here any day now. Think that will foul up the ride quality? :confused:

32mm is correct... fwiw, I thought it was too short too. I compensated by steepening the HT angle on my personal bikes.

I know this is an FCC site, but I must say that Bontrager bikes are the best made I have ever seen. I have worked for and vistied lotsof bike companies, and none have the level of build quality of these bikes.

What's unfortunate is that the very thing that made them so good is likely the very thing that forced Trek to shut down the factory. There was just too much time put into each frame... (about 6 hrs per).

Having said that, I never liked the way the stock bikes rode.. way too steep and short for me. I always felt like I was going to go over the bars. In fact I did more often on my stock Bontrager than any other bike. Once I went to a 72*/72* geo with a 24" TT the thing rode like a dream!