bottom bracket

jflo

im new, im original owner of a 88 wicked, candy red. its actually a monster but when i ordered it i asked for wicked graphics. it was built by reggie jackson (i have the signed card) its time for a resto job...can anybody tell me the procedure for dissembling and re assembling a pressed in bottom bracket and spindle? mainly how do you put the spindle in?

I-ROBOT

Welcome

The press-in bottom bracket is quite simple. The bearings are cartridge bearings made by NTN (don't have the part number in front of me) The straight spindle slides through and is held in place by aluminum collars on each side that have set screws in them.

To remove: Secure the bike in a workstand. Remove the crank arms with the proper removal tool for your type of crank. Loosen the allen-head set screws in the aluminum collars and pull them off (if they have been on for a long time, use some WD-40 or equivalent. Pull the spindle out once the collars are off (you may be able to remove just one collar - leave one on to make spacing set up easier) if necessary, tap the spindle with a mallet to loosen it up.

Once the spindle is out, get a 1/2" diameter steel rod and insert it through one bearing at an angle so it rests against the inside of the other bearing cartridge. Strike the rod until the cartridge comes out. Each cartridge is held in by red lock-tite so it may take a few good shots to get it loose. Once one side is out, use the rod to remove the other side. You will have more access once one cartridge is out. It is important to have the frame secured while you are doing this.

To install you will need a piece of 5/8" diameter threaded rod with large washers and heavy steel nuts. Run a bead of red lok-tite around the outside of each bearing and push them into the BB by hand as far as they will go. Check the alignment and put the threaded rod through the bearings and assemble the washers and nuts. Tighten the nuts on each side about a half turn at a time and watch the bearings press into the BB. Make sure they are going in nice and straight. There is a steel ring on the outside of each cartridge that goes up against the BB. When these rings contact the BB, you have gotten them in as far as they need to go. Insert the spindle and assemble the aluminum collars and tighten the set screws. Assemble your crank arms and you should be good to go

If any of the awesome bike mechanics on this site see something I've missed, please chime in!!

Good Luck
Scott

jflo

thanks, i got it out today...

Welcome

The press-in bottom bracket is quite simple. The bearings are cartridge bearings made by NTN (don't have the part number in front of me) The straight spindle slides through and is held in place by aluminum collars on each side that have set screws in them.

To remove: Secure the bike in a workstand. Remove the crank arms with the proper removal tool for your type of crank. Loosen the allen-head set screws in the aluminum collars and pull them off (if they have been on for a long time, use some WD-40 or equivalent. Pull the spindle out once the collars are off (you may be able to remove just one collar - leave one on to make spacing set up easier) if necessary, tap the spindle with a mallet to loosen it up.

Once the spindle is out, get a 1/2" diameter steel rod and insert it through one bearing at an angle so it rests against the inside of the other bearing cartridge. Strike the rod until the cartridge comes out. Each cartridge is held in by red lock-tite so it may take a few good shots to get it loose. Once one side is out, use the rod to remove the other side. You will have more access once one cartridge is out. It is important to have the frame secured while you are doing this.

To install you will need a piece of 5/8" diameter threaded rod with large washers and heavy steel nuts. Run a bead of red lok-tite around the outside of each bearing and push them into the BB by hand as far as they will go. Check the alignment and put the threaded rod through the bearings and assemble the washers and nuts. Tighten the nuts on each side about a half turn at a time and watch the bearings press into the BB. Make sure they are going in nice and straight. There is a steel ring on the outside of each cartridge that goes up against the BB. When these rings contact the BB, you have gotten them in as far as they need to go. Insert the spindle and assemble the aluminum collars and tighten the set screws. Assemble your crank arms and you should be good to go

If any of the awesome bike mechanics on this site see something I've missed, please chime in!!

Good Luck
Scott
thanks, i used a wooden mallet to get the spindle out.....not that bad. used a brass rod and mallet for the bearings. they were real bad, a little pile of hard schmutz left in the BB shell. using wire brush. i have a head set tool from the old days. thanks

mainlyfats

thanks, i used a wooden mallet to get the spindle out.....not that bad. used a brass rod and mallet for the bearings. they were real bad, a little pile of hard schmutz left in the BB shell. using wire brush. i have a head set tool from the old days. thanks

I'm sure you'll do fine. One note to add - I've not been able to find the NTN bearings of old for quite a while (at least, not in Canada or on the internet) and have had to buy what is commonly referred to as "Chinese bearings" from bearingsdirect.com. These are not particularly good bearings, so I buy a bunch.

Sold out at the moment - http://bearingsdirect.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3533

efshark

help with bullseye crank?

Hi - I have a Fat Chance Team Comp, hot pink, that was made for me back in around 1988-89. It has a 24 inch rear wheel, and a Bullseye crank. The crank is dying, keeps jamming, I can hear and feel bearings wearing/sticking. I have taken the bike to the local shop, and they said they cannot fix it, nor can they replace any parts. They told me to hang it on the wall. I LOVE THIS BIKE! I want to continue to ride it, and am looking for solutions. Anybody have any advice???? I would love to just put a new Bullseye crank on, and maybe upgrade some components. I was told the bottom bracket is too narrow (72mm) for anything to work. ????? Help, please.

mainlyfats

Hi - I have a Fat Chance Team Comp, hot pink, that was made for me back in around 1988-89. It has a 24 inch rear wheel, and a Bullseye crank. The crank is dying, keeps jamming, I can hear and feel bearings wearing/sticking. I have taken the bike to the local shop, and they said they cannot fix it, nor can they replace any parts. They told me to hang it on the wall. I LOVE THIS BIKE! I want to continue to ride it, and am looking for solutions. Anybody have any advice???? I would love to just put a new Bullseye crank on, and maybe upgrade some components. I was told the bottom bracket is too narrow (72mm) for anything to work. ????? Help, please.

Something stinks here... No such thing as a 72mm BB for a start. The bearings, unless they were literally falling to pieces couldn't cause a jam, so I'd guess that - possibly amongst other things - your drivetrain is worn out.

I don't know Idaho at all, but you might have to send the bike away for restoration if it's not work you can do - sounds like your local shop doesn't want the hassle. It's probably a huge time-sink for them and they won't find quality 7-spd cassettes, bearings and other parts readily available to them from wholesalers.

Good luck with the work. A custom Team Comp is a very rare beast!