Cornering the Market on Fat Stuff!!!!!

Mojo Troll

Team Violet Buck

The Team Violet Buckshaver is actually a late 93 model. Best I can recall it was the 53'rd Buck ever build. It was a custom color and decals. I should know, I rode that frame for close to 13 years. I hope it went to a good home. Anyone here?

bruce t

Hey Mojotroll,

It went to a good home, it's sitting in my living room right now waiting for a Chris King headset (grabbed one on Ebay last night) and a Zooka from Lucifer. I have most of the parts to put it together, still looking for brakes, etc.

So this was your bike? I would have loved to see it as it was originally built, what parts were with it, etc. She's still gorgeous!!! A good companion to my '89 hot pink Wicked.

Cheers, bt

Subsea_Driller

Sorry folks...

I didn't mean to upset anyone. Honestly. The single speed was a no brainer, didn't even have to think twice about it. Couldn't hit the buy it now button fast enough. As for the top dollar frame. eeesh. Ouch.
The frame is going to a good home, really. It's going to be crossing the pond where a mate of mine (a bike mechanic) will take great care of it. He is an IF customer and has lusted after a (sommerville) Ti since they rolled out of the welding shop. The pound is so strong at the moment that the cost isn't that painful to him. I'm not making anything on it, he's a mate.

As for my single speeder, it'll stay so for the forseable future. Glad to meet you folks here. Pleasant forum. And anyway looks like you lot own more than one FC. What's wrong with spreading it around a little bit?

settemarche

Subsea_Driller said:
I didn't mean to upset anyone. Honestly. The single speed was a no brainer, didn't even have to think twice about it. Couldn't hit the buy it now button fast enough. As for the top dollar frame. eeesh. Ouch.
The frame is going to a good home, really. It's going to be crossing the pond where a mate of mine (a bike mechanic) will take great care of it. He is an IF customer and has lusted after a (sommerville) Ti since they rolled out of the welding shop. The pound is so strong at the moment that the cost isn't that painful to him. I'm not making anything on it, he's a mate.

As for my single speeder, it'll stay so for the forseable future. Glad to meet you folks here. Pleasant forum. And anyway looks like you lot own more than one FC. What's wrong with spreading it around a little bit?

In time all shall be revealed. Sub - kudos to you. i never even saw the single speed, but if i had - like you said - i would not have been able to hit the button fast enough either. the old saying goes - "you snooze you lose". i was sleeping on the single speed. the frame i thought was just a little high.

i am pretty sure that none of us were or are upset. all of us want all the of the bikes, so when we are beaten at our own game we might want to vent on the board.

enjoy the ride,

Sette

bruce t

welcome, subsea...

Nice score. I really stared at that one, and if I'd been following Ti prices, I might well have put myself in hock for it. Lots of nice parts on it.

But I've never even ridden a Ti bike, all my bikes are old-school chromoly (the road bike still has friction 6-speed shifters and toe clips, and of course, an Ideale leather seat). One of the things I liked about the Fats was their amazing paint pallette, so those silver bikes looked kind of boring. So, I bought the Buck.

Maybe I should make a point of going out and riding a new-school bike or two, but I'm so used to my old iron.

At any rate, nice score on that, too bad you're not keeping her.

Cheers, bt

Yo Eddy!

bruce t said:
Nice score. I really stared at that one, and if I'd been following Ti prices, I might well have put myself in hock for it. Lots of nice parts on it.

But I've never even ridden a Ti bike, all my bikes are old-school chromoly (the road bike still has friction 6-speed shifters and toe clips, and of course, an Ideale leather seat). One of the things I liked about the Fats was their amazing paint pallette, so those silver bikes looked kind of boring. So, I bought the Buck.

Maybe I should make a point of going out and riding a new-school bike or two, but I'm so used to my old iron.

Cheers, bt

It seems somebody out there heard you => Chameleon Ti

BTW I do know there is a Chameleon Ti on FatCogs. That one was acquired through eBay some time ago. Are there more???

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

settemarche

Yo Eddy! said:

BTW I do know there is a Chameleon Ti on FatCogs. That one was acquired through eBay some time ago. Are there more???

Melvin - are there any more out there???? it is like an episode of the X-Files! regardless - Chameleon Green Ti? i must make it mine. there is the Shock-A-Billy out there too. not as into that paint scheme. but an interesting bike none the less. i am hoping the bidding does not again go into the stratosphere.

Sette

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subsea_Driller

bruce t said:

Cheers, bt

Thanks for the welcome. I'm keeping one Ti. The single speeder. Personally, painting Ti frames should be made a crime but that's just me.

Anyone know what the Ti frame retailed for back in '93?

rick

93 Ti

Anyone know what the Ti frame retailed for back in '93?

I think that we covered the pricing isuue some time back in another posting, but I am not certain where it is located.

I know that I have the information at home but IIRC it was about $2795 or something like that, very pricey. I believe that the price actually came down later in the run.

AB

Definitely $2,200.+, but after that who really cares. No offense to anyone, but original MSRP usually doesn't have any bearing on current market value when you're talking anything collectable. I paid $1,250.00 for a Yo frameset back in 1992 and I do not think I would get that today .... unless someone really wanted it.

Yo Eddy!

Yo Eddy! said:

It went for about $50 less as 8 months ago, but take into account some specs are different (Jones bar came on, XTR F mech had to go..)

....and it went to 'lagunacoupe'

kevin881

Subsea_Driller

Ebay Shysters...

Well its time to report. And I'm doing my best to refrain from profanity. Remember that $2600 frame I bought. It came with 0.25mm deep, 4mm diameter gouge on the chainstay directly above, facing outward, the first toothpick mount. It wasn't shown in the initial ebay listing and wasn't shown in the additional photos I asked for and recieved. (in his small defense I did not specifically ask for a picture of that particular location). The frame was described as near mint so why wouldn't the seller alert users to the gouge. I know why, that would have effected the price of the frame! He's not stupid. And he's a bigot too. I had been trying to work the issue out with him but because I had been offshore I was a week in getting back to him. I quote from his last email to me...

"being a 37 year old-car free- bicycle
lifestyle lifer,it turns my stomach knowing it went to
someone in the OIL industry...booooooo
"

You live and learn. Ask for photos of every inch of any frame you are bidding on. He offered a complete refund only, I guess so he could pass it on. However the frame has already departed across the pond. Opinions of others have put the gouge as not structural.

All I wanted was the dude to be honest.

And to top it call. He has accused me of faking the other Ti (the singlespeed) (I sent him a pic of it). He states,... wait a minute I can quote him again...(from the same email)

" i've got my ebay account programmed to email me
EVERY fat chance that comes up for auction in the
cycling catagory,yet i didn't see the ti fat you sent
me a pic of.i think you're seeing alot of ti fats
selling for that 1500-2000 price range you speak of,i
hope you realize,being new to the FAT bicycle
community,that those are all post serotta buy out
fats.....they're serottas with a fat chance sticker on
them....they're not fats.a sommerville mass. built ti
fat chance is extremely rare,thats why the guy you
were bidding against had such a high bid on the
frame,its a '93,the first year made,the buy out took
place in 94-they made this frame for only 2 years
"

Anyway that's my story.

the Ti I purchased from Fishhiker is fantastic by the way...

settemarche

The frame was described as near mint so why wouldn't the seller alert users to the gouge. I know why, that would have effected the price of the frame! He's not stupid.

Dearest Sub,

please have a look at the link posted in the Retro MTB section. it is of a Salsa Ala Carte that i have just purchsed on Ebay. look at the pics. read the description. turns out this bike arrives with water in the downtube. yes, you all read that correctly. when i was turing the bike around on the bike stand i would hear the water rushing around. all kinda rusty water came out of the water bottle holder holes. a total buzz kill.

even more interesting. this guy said that he was cruising the bike around his place. this thing arrived with everything in disarray. it would not have been rideable. the front tire did not have a tube.

toptube has two dents. neither of which was mentioned. he did try and cover them with a sticker. a sticker which is not in any of the ebay photos. lastly the rear derailer was switched. he had told me the bike was full XT. but he poached the rear derailler and left me with a 70's 6 speed rear unit.

like yourself i am going to have to throttle back on the ebay. unfortunately there seem to be some dishonest people. not quite sure why - oh yea. you mentioned it before above. but i truely hope that karma catches up with them.

Sincerely,

Sette

Yo Eddy!

"being a 37 year old-car free- bicycle
lifestyle lifer,it turns my stomach knowing it went to
someone in the OIL industry...booooooo
"

" i've got my ebay account programmed to email me
EVERY fat chance that comes up for auction in the
cycling catagory,yet i didn't see the ti fat you sent
me a pic of.i think you're seeing alot of ti fats
selling for that 1500-2000 price range you speak of,i
hope you realize,being new to the FAT bicycle
community,that those are all post serotta buy out
fats.....they're serottas with a fat chance sticker on
them....they're not fats.a sommerville mass. built ti
fat chance is extremely rare,thats why the guy you
were bidding against had such a high bid on the
frame,its a '93,the first year made,the buy out took
place in 94-they made this frame for only 2 years
"

Signed, @ssh*le

Too bad Subsea Driller. I consider it fraud. Still great you got a nice frame and you can ride it without trouble, but bummer you paid probably to much thanks to the beceiver. He will now maybe take his wife and kids out for a diner, they laugh a lot... Some people are apparently happy living their lives this way.

Another issue: The reason why I consider early Ti FATs a tiny bit more desirable is the sleeved butting method that is very pleasing to my eye.

bushpig

This nonsense really pisses me off. I have been burned before buying items at a distance, but fortunately not that often. The worst was the Pro FRO Yeti that is my main ride. The seller neglected to mention the dent in the top tube and damage to the crown race that had to be repaired before the bike was usable.

Subsea_Driller

from another planet...

Thanks for the kind words folks.

My final whine, then it's over. This forum isn't for harking on about losers on ebay. In his last email to me he says he would like to see $20 a gallon for gas. It doesn't take much to imagine the consequences of this. Do you think he would be happy carrying his ill child to hosipital because the emergency services can't afford the fuel for the ambulance, or the life support machine has to be turned off because there isn't enough energy to go round and it's someone else's turn.

One word. MUPPET.

Oh well. Just watch out for him on ebay.

what is the material spec used in the steel frame with the water in it? I think it's 4130. Is this correct?

Touche!

Subsea_Driller said:
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Aye Subsea, well played on the Ti. In the time it took me to sign in to BIN that SS, your name popped up on it! Sorry to hear the seller was a hoser.

Somewhere out there, my frame awaits. In the mean time, I'll have to get by with Merlins Fat copy... :)

Can we count the early Merlins as Fats?