help w/ serial #

fat-tony

Staff member
Can anyone give me some insight for a Yo Eddy that the seller says was fab'd in Mass. but the serial number is 039Z07? Doesn't sound like a Mass frame to me. Anyone?

Doug Carter

Staff member
039Z07

That's an odd-ball. I've seen more than a few that didn't make any sense, or fall in line with any of their "production" numbers.

Here's the thing. I think the first Yo Eddy was 1991, if I am not mistaken. There may have been early ones made in 1990, but I don't have any on record in my spreadsheet. That numbering looks closer to the Wicked Lites where the first 3 digits were production numbers, the middle letter was the frame style designation (I have no idea what Z would be), the next number is the last number in the year (this would be a 1990), and the last number is the frame size (7 being short for a 17" frame). Yo Eddy's used S, M, L frame size designations unless they were 19s.

The Z confuses me. If it were a C or a W or Y or something else I have seen before, I might be able to help a bit more. I would say it is definitely a Sommerville, Mass. bike though. Numbering conventions changed when they moved to Serotta.

Are the decals and colors factory correct?

mwr

Doug, check my recent post and serial number in the frame registry thread. My Yo is a 1990.

--Matt

Doug Carter

Staff member
mwr said:
Doug, check my recent post and serial number in the frame registry thread. My Yo is a 1990.

--Matt

My mistake. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. The Yo Eddy hit in 1989, I was thinking "Monster" in my head for some reason and typed something else.

Still don't have any idea what the "Z" might be.

That reminds me, I need to update the registry this weekend.
eek.gif

Bssc

It could very well be a team specific/ employee frame a lot of early ones were made "off the line" not conforming to the standard of sizing or serial numbers. I know for a fact there are about a dozen or so Wicked's with WFFC in the serial numbers. The were for friends and employees only most were ridden into the ground or got a BBectomy I doubt may exist any more. Also a lot of prototypes got messed up serial numbers too , and other were just a goof .

lucifer

It seems like I read somewhere that custom fats often included the owners initials in the number... Anything weird about the geometry?

fat-tony

Staff member
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Local bike. I tried to buy it before the end of the auction, but it's an eBay selling service and they don't know anything about the bike at all. I wanted to pick it up in person to save on that ridiculous $125 flat shipping rate fee (I just had a bike shipped from the other side of the country for $40 FedEx).

It needs work, and the component package to me isn't worth anything (to some, Campy might be gold), and they have few photos that really show you anything. The D+D decals tell me that it has probably already been repainted once. The Yo fork though plus the frame is worth the price of admission right now for me. If it goes much higher (and it will), I think it has been beaten too hard to be worth it. The mention of "surface rust" near the back wheel always bothers me with a Fat, too.

I wonder if I bought it if they'd still try to charge me $125 for shipping & handling?
tongue.gif

fat-tony

Staff member
Doug Carter said:
Local bike. I tried to buy it before the end of the auction, but it's an eBay selling service and they don't know anything about the bike at all. I wanted to pick it up in person to save on that ridiculous $125 flat shipping rate fee (I just had a bike shipped from the other side of the country for $40 FedEx).

It needs work, and the component package to me isn't worth anything (to some, Campy might be gold), and they have few photos that really show you anything. The D+D decals tell me that it has probably already been repainted once. The Yo fork though plus the frame is worth the price of admission right now for me. If it goes much higher (and it will), I think it has been beaten too hard to be worth it. The mention of "surface rust" near the back wheel always bothers me with a Fat, too.

I wonder if I bought it if they'd still try to charge me $125 for shipping & handling?
tongue.gif

The bid is getting too high for me right now. Doug, I thought this one would be too small for you?

Doug Carter

Staff member
I ride a 17-18" frame, depending on the measuring style. I have opened my search to not only M/L Yos, but to M sized frames, too.

cool.gif

schneidw

price

That was a nice bike.. ended selling for $645 I believe... Probably worth it although I agree teh Campy components beign a turn off..

I am gonna post my M/L 18-in frame alone next week; I just picked up a Merlin 20-in to replace my Fat Chance; I hope to get between $300 and $400 but one never knows..The team violet is a turnoff to some as does the scratches/handlebar ding.. I wll soon find out.. I will also be posting the 1" Judy SL as well.. just in case Fat Cogs change their mind..

MikeyNYC

Doug Carter said:
The D+D decals tell me that it has probably already been repainted once.

Doug,

I once had a NOS Wicked frame with this same Grello/Blue Fade paint with the "D & D East" decal clearcoated over and that wasn't a repaint, as far as I know...there's a photo of that frame on this site on another thread.

Michael-NYC

schneidw

MikeyNYC said:
Doug,

I once had a NOS Wicked frame with this same Grello/Blue Fade paint with the "D & D East" decal clearcoated over and that wasn't a repaint, as far as I know...there's a photo of that frame on this site on another thread.

Michael-NYC
Yeah, I concur. I know someone who had the same exact bike, including gruppo. I believe its all original.

Doug Carter

Staff member
schneidw said:
That was a nice bike.. ended selling for $645 I believe...

+ $125 to ship.
eek.gif
$770 seemed like a lot to me, but I get cheaper as I get older. I think I had $3500 or more into my original when I built it in my mid-20s. Now, when they aproach 4-digits, I shudder. I think my original Spinergys cost more than that bike went for.

So did D+D do any factory finishes new? I hadn't heard of anyone outside of Fat painting their bikes before. I'd love to know more, if so...

Bssc

During one period of time D&D did the paint for the Fats IIRC it was all the fancy stuff(single colors were in house with Imron) as they did not have an accomplished painter at the time in house. IIRC the paint was not Imron either it was something else that dd no hold up nearly as well. Pulling dates out of my head will be tuff as it happened several times during the years in Somerville. The last three or four years they had one of the best painters in the business in the shop doing all the paint work. (ever see the moo cow specials) Most of the show bikes were done by Len Fendi (sp)

fat-tony

Staff member
fork

I will also be posting the 1" Judy SL as well.. just in case Fat Cogs change their mind..[/QUOTE]

You have a PM.

fat-tony

Staff member
schneidw said:
That was a nice bike.. ended selling for $645 I believe... Probably worth it although I agree teh Campy components beign a turn off..

I am gonna post my M/L 18-in frame alone next week; I just picked up a Merlin 20-in to replace my Fat Chance; I hope to get between $300 and $400 but one never knows..The team violet is a turnoff to some as does the scratches/handlebar ding.. I wll soon find out.. I will also be posting the 1" Judy SL as well.. just in case Fat Cogs change their mind..

I'm interested in your fork. You have a PM

N10S

fat-tony said:
Can anyone give me some insight for a Yo Eddy that the seller says was fab'd in Mass. but the serial number is 039Z07? Doesn't sound like a Mass frame to me. Anyone?
I have a Yo Eddy that has the serial number 185 Z07. Has a don't tread on me decal as well as a D&D decal on the left chainstay. I was trying to get additional info on the bike because the serial number doesn't really match the "Y" type numbers. Looks like it may be an early frame built in 1990 it appears... .

Jeff

Doug Carter

Staff member
We have seen a few Z numbered Yos recently, and they all appear to be very early 1990 bikes, and for some reason, are all 17" frames, too. Your frame is the 4th I have seen in the last month or so, with that numbering system on it.

confused.gif