Team Comp?

Shamobius

Nice, American Classic seat post clamp, IRD seatpost, & GP Wilson dropouts.

Awesome story

When I saw the American Classic seatpost quick release, first generation Syncros stem and seatpost, I knew it was mine. But like Phil said, the wheels clinched it; that's a mighty clear fingerprint! I was amazed that the wheels were still around, I figured those would have been the first things the thief would have poached for some other bike, or sold off. So recognizable. It really makes me think that the bike was taken from my town, Victoria over to Vancouver, and perhaps sent out east and re-painted. I guess I'll never know. But that was the story back then, organized bike thieves from Vancouver driving around Victoria in a van, hopping out with bolt cutters, making off with bikes and taking them to Vancouver...

Shamobius

This is amazing. You know you need to restore it to original condition now, right? :beer:

That bottom bracket area looks ill, though.

Yeah that bb looks scary. But of course, full restoration, down to the original paint scheme and components is mandatory. Hope the frame is still sound!...

Doug Carter

Staff member
My guess is that even if the BB is a mess, there are plenty of skilled craftsman watching that are emotionally connected to this brand who can help bring it back to life. :)

I-ROBOT

Congratulations to all!

Phil, sir, you are a man of honor and I commend your actions. I know what it's like to have a rare bike stolen and then to get it back many months later.

Shamus, I trust you can prove that you are the legal owner and can document your purchase and subsequent theft?

If I still had access to the right tools I would fix that frame up right but I'm not in the business anymore.

I would suggest contacting Chris through his Fat Chance Bikes website and maybe the guys at Ventana could perform any repairs if they are needed. Obviously a paint restoration is in your future at the very least.

Best story of 2017, so far

Scott

mtbspirk

I just wanted to jump in to agree with everyone who thinks this is a great story. It made my day.

Congratulations to all!

Shamus, I trust you can prove that you are the legal owner and can document your purchase and subsequent theft?

Scott

You bring up an interesting point. If I was challenged to prove I'm the legitimate owner of my '95 Yo! I'd be hard pressed to do so. The shop I bought it from is gone, I doubt I still have the original credit card receipt, and that cc/bank account has been closed for a decade or more. I do have pics here in the frame registry including the serial number, but that's about all of the public record I can think of.

Shamobius

You guys are harshing my buzz!

Seriously though, I don't have the original paperwork, which is the only real way to prove beyond a doubt that its mine. I went back to my old bike shop where I worked, and bought the bike through. Any records they had from 25 plus years ago are long gone, shredded in to oblivion. But if I had to I could get 30-50 people to sign an affidavit saying they remember the bike and my ownership of it. Plus, four of the guys at the shop (Russ Hay's) still work there, and remember the bike well. If I needed that level of proof I could get it, but Phil and I have worked it out. For the expanded and current version of this story, go check it out here (if that's allowed on this site):

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=364145&start=30

I will continue to add to this thread here as well as the story unfolds though. Thanks for everyone's interest!!

I-ROBOT

Way to go!!

My TI bike was stolen and subsequently recovered by the Melrose Mass police after they received a tip from a local bike shop when somebody brought it in looking for parts. (the thief didn't get my seat and seatpost which were on the floor of my car that was broken into). Apparently it sat in the station for months while they tried to track down the owner (me). A nephew of mine heard about it and told me. I called the station and gave them what I thought was the serial number (I was off by one digit) but I also described the location and size of a repair weld that I had made on the sleeve of the downtube. I contacted Chris and he gave me a letter stating that I was the legal owner of the bike. The frame was a warranty return because of the crack in the sleeve (not a weld BTW - weird that it happened in the first place)
and Chris gave it to me as part of my severance when it was obvious that Somerville was closing. I repaired the crack and the frame was good as new. My description of the repair and the letter from Chris were enough to convince the police that I was the legal owner and they gave it back to me.

SO glad your story has a happy ending too
Scott

zonq

I would suggest contacting Chris through his Fat Chance Bikes website and maybe the guys at Ventana could perform any repairs if they are needed. Obviously a paint restoration is in your future at the very least.

Yeah, Chris Iglehart might be one to ask as well, if you wanted to keep the work done in the Fat family. He's a really nice guy and in the off-season (now) will occasionally take small jobs and works at a reasonable rate. Plux, his finisher is Keith Anderson, so you could get the original colors in your original finish, and bonus, with a set of original decals too (not for sale separately).

Either way, happiest thread ever.

Shamobius

Thanks Scott and zong! I talked to Mark at Cyclesmith Halifax, and he has generously boxed up the bike free of charge, and offered me discounted shipping. Phil is taking it to the post office for me, hopefully tomorrow. When I get the frame I am going to strip the paint and see what kind of shape the frame is in, and if its going to need any pin holes filled, etc.. Rust...

It would be great to have some Fat City pedigree involved in the restoration, I will see who is available or interested. I just read somewhere that Keith Anderson is no longer involved in bicycles, but I'll be looking in to it for sure. At any rate Chris Chance is aware of this restoration story and he seems pretty tickled about it...

Last edited:

pinguwin

...Plux, his finisher is Keith Anderson

Keith did my Carl Strong frame two years ago and did an amazing job. Talked to him about doing my Strong fat bike last summer but sadly, couldn't take it on. He is out of the biz as of last fall. Just an update.

Don't know if he will be returning or not but that's what it is now.

Great story about getting your bike back too. My first mtb was stolen and then it's successor was stolen. Some years later, I was overseas and the police contacted my family to say they found my bike! Friend went to pick it up and said, "Don't bother." It was so totally trashed, even the suspension fork had the lowers broken in two at the brake bridge. Not quite as happy as your story :)

Shamobius

It took me a long time to figure out the paint job (M-Power can attest to that!). My first impulse was to paint it exactly as it was the first time around. But then I recalled thinking the green fork never quite matched the frame, and at first glance looked like it had come from a different bike altogether. So I felt there must be another paint job that could use the two colours in harmony. The blue and green reminded me of the classic Aquafade, but Fat Chance didn't start using that scheme until the Yo Eddy's arrived. I thought about how I could do a fade that would have been possible in the late 80s. A few different ideas came to mind. Then finally one night I was lying in bed thinking about it, and the stars in the logo came to mind, and how cool it would be for the stars to achieve the 'fade' or 'bleed'.

Toxik Harald was very patient and helpful as I barraged him with ideas and questions, getting the colours right, and giving feedback as he designed the star transition. When I unpacked the frame, I was stunned at what a job Harald had done; it matched my vision perfectly, and the execution was/is flawless. He was even able to get the paint job done in time for me to build the bike for next weekend's Toxik Show n' Shine over in Richmond. Big thanks to Harald for making this happen; he more than did the frame justice.

It was a big expense relatively speaking, but considering my friend Phil Roach et al. donated the frame and many original parts to the project, I felt more than justified in the splurge. Plus, with the rough and tumble life this orphaned frame has gone through, I felt it had earned the privilege of new paint. I will never have a bigger better bike related story to tell than this one, and if my spirits ever need a lift down the road, I just need to take a peek at this beauty, and everything is all right all right all right...

20170428_183016 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100225 by shamalama88, on Flickr

20170429_100241 by shamalama88, on Flickr

Shamobius

I finished the bike yesterday using completely original spec components, many of which came back to me with the frame: wheels, stem, brakes, headset, bottom bracket, seatpost, seatpost collar and quick release. Took it up to the same rock outcropping where I took this picture:

1989 Fat Chance Team Comp side view by shamalama88, on Flickr

To bring it full circle...

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by shamalama88, on Flickr

1989 Fat Chance TC original build new paint by
shamalama88, on Flickr