Team Comp?

phil40soon

Hey all, I just picked up a beater frame/fork with extras for 20 bucks, listed on a local used site. It's badged Kona with a repaint and obvious replacement sticker. I bought it for the Syncros stem included. When I picked it up I noticed it has a pressed in BB. I didn't immediately think of FC, but it has some other telltale signs, including bullet stays, the seat stay gusset and seat post collar slot. The bullet stay ends seem a little smaller than I've seen before, and the cable routing is either side of the TT which I also haven't seen in person before, so I wasn't convinced although it's obviously nicely made. Also has a sloping crown fork with no eyelets; no eyelets on the stays either. Anyway, the serial number is 08929TC. So now I'm thinking it could be an 89 Team Comp. No pics, but just putting it out there -- could it be, based on that SN? Oh, and also GP Wilson dropouts.

I-ROBOT

I will drive up there right now and quintuple your money guaranteed! Oh - and you can keep the stem. Oh - and any other parts that came with it

Nice find
Scott

mainlyfats

I will drive up there right now and quintuple your money guaranteed! Oh - and you can keep the stem. Oh - and any other parts that came with it

Nice find
Scott

Phil40soon give this offer serious thought: it was made by the man who welded the frame you now have and he is - in large part - ultimately responsible for why we continue to talk about the bikes today.

Karma-wise, it'd be hard to do better! :beer:

Last edited:

Stingercut

^^ 1000% agree...no better man than IROBOT to restore his finest handiwork back to its former glory. There is a lot of work and $$$ needed to do it justice IMO and the resto thread will keep us all going though the long winter nights :beer::beer::beer:

mainlyfats

I'll do you one better, Stinger... $100 CAD towards Scott's purchase as a thank you.

OP - you're now at 10x your purchase price for a bike that'll cost a ton to put right (ask Stinger how I know...).

:beer:

Stingercut

I'll do you one better, Stinger... $100 CAD towards Scott's purchase as a thank you.

OP - you're now at 10x your purchase price for a bike that'll cost a ton to put right (ask Stinger how I know...).

:beer:

Where else would a true fan of one of the greatest frame builders in mountainbiking history show such appreciation ? Amazing gesture Mainlyfats :beer::beer: and yes, I have already indicated such likely resto costs to the OP, in reference to the beauty you passed on to me.:cool:

I-ROBOT

As usual, thanks for all the great compliments guys!

I am wondering though, with a repaint and rebadging as another brand, maybe this bike was stolen some time ago??

Could be a serious rust bucket too

Hopefully the bike is legit and he can restore it to its former glory. If not...well who knows

Happy Holidays
Scott

phil40soon

IRobot: pm'd you. Contacted the guy I got it from. He purchased it a month ago from a long time owner. It's been painted over for a very long time. I'm certain it's legit and not stolen, but who knows the stories it could tell, eh? Get in touch and we'll chat. I have some questions about protecting it for now without refinishing it.

phil40soon

We know little of its life history! Shamus knows the first couple of years, and I know the last year and a bit. About 25 mysterious years in between.

Shamobius

Well, in 1989 I was working in a bike shop saving my pennies towards what I thought would be the best steel frame available, the Fat Chance Team Comp. So elite it wasn't even in their catalog. I only knew a bit about them, but of course the Fat Chance name was already legendary. I was looking for something light and agile that could handle our region's technical singletrack. It looked like the perfect bike. I ordered it through our shop: I asked for custom cable routing, with top tube cable guides running at 5:00 - 7:00 - 11:00, giving what I thought were the cleanest lines to the back of the bike. For paint I wanted the metallic grey-blue of James Dean's Porsche from that infamous poster popular in the late 80s, with matching green forks and handlebar in the same tone. I had wheels built while I was waiting for the frame: blue bodied, silver flanged 36 hole Bullseye hubs on silver Mavic Oxygen rims.
It was the sweetest bike BY FAR I had ever ridden. It steered itself and was so comfortable on long rides. It honestly felt alive, and I could ride it on pavement hands free forever, no matter how drunk I was.
I had it for about two years before it was stolen in 1991/92; I went in to a corner grocery store about four blocks from my home, came out a minute later and it was gone...

Doug Carter

Staff member
This is amazing. You know you need to restore it to original condition now, right? :beer:

That bottom bracket area looks ill, though.