2015 Yo Eddy Frames on Kickstarter!

Up to 95k out of 116k. The campaign ends in 20 days.

He's got to average approx 1k/day between now and then.

Might need some help from all of us to meet his goal.

Frank

fat-tony

Staff member
I opted for the $250 route to help out. He currently doesn't offer what I am looking for, but figure he will in due time. Cheers!

I am not wealthy, and I made a rather meager donation.
I too am frustrated that info is lacking, and little is being volunteered.
The kickstarter campaign does not provide us all with what we want right off the bat.

I also appreciate that Chris is old school, and has made it a point not to accept money from anyone or any one entity that might force him to compromise in any way on quality or vision. I think we would all agree that, that is the thing about him that has brought us all together in the first place.

If we all stand together as a group that knows and appreciates what he is capable of producing, we can ensure that he reaches his funding goal. It seems like it may be close, and as many have stated, the funding goal may be a bit lofty.

Cheers,
Frank

jpicard616

Yeah, he should have built a frame or two just to showcase to all of the investors and potential clients. The guy has an amazing reputation and is a cycling legend, but he's been out of the industry for well over a decade, and I'd like to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Stingercut

If it gets tight raising the funds towards the end then Chris should consider a trade option on $2500 frame sets, maybe with forks ;) Sure some of the more upmarket businesses in Europe would be delighted to have some new exclusive Fats to offer and pay up front. It could even make a nice investment but they would need to be built fast.

I-ROBOT

As long as the Somerville Community Development Corporation stays away, he should be OK!!:eek:

I'm sure he learned a hard lesson after dealing with those f#$%@s

I wish him well
Scott

tvcreative

I agree that seeing something produced would make me more interested…

but to be honest, this just feels like someone is lending a brand name only - to another manufacturer's work.

What will be his involvement?

Why will it be different?

Why would principals not directly respond/interact personally on this site?

This feels like it's nothing about a grass roots original builder with a vision getting back in the game, and more like a cash the name in, gauge the level of interest from fanatical enthusiasts like myself, and let other people do the work kinda thing

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what is going on seems so a$$backwards.

Stingercut

We all love his incredible past creations. His bikes have soul. There is no doubt he is testing our faith in the brand and comeback. Having been involved in founding and seed funding a Dot Com back in the day, I can appreciate the issues about retaining autonomy and control of the business. He's grabbed all the low hanging fruit, let's just hope we can all shake the tree hard for the remaining fruit needed. :beer:

fat-tony

Staff member
I have no doubt it will be quality. I don't think he would do it any other way. Here is a message back to me through Kickstarter and I hope maybe this clears up some things (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing). I am strictly sharing this so that folks here can make up their mind and hope it causes some Fatcoggers to pull the trigger on what I think will be a great FAT frame.

We are currently in “start up” mode, so we don't have our own manufacturing facility yet. Because of this, I am partnering with a third party shop to help me manufacture the first few batches of frames.
It's not locked down, but it's looking like I will be working with Sherwood Gibson at Ventana in Nor Cal. It's ultimately going to come down to how many frames come from this first push in Kickstarter.
As I always have, I will be heavily involved in manufacturing the frames from beginning to end, so rest assured, these frames will have quality level and characteristics you expect from Fat Chance.
Thank you for your support,
Chris

jpicard616

Rigid forks!

Chris just posted that all $5000-$6000 pledges will get a new rigid fork with their frames, and all $2500 pledges will get the option to purchase one after the Kickstarter drive is over. That's pretty exciting, but they still need about seventeen grand. I just pledged $250 for some shirts and stickers and would encourage more folks to add their support!

Oh, and there's custom paint available as well.

zonq

If he allowed people to pre-order the fatbike frames, even with the strict understanding that they're not shipping til next winter, that last 20k would materialize pretty quickly.

aron

I jumped in for the 6k on 2nd day of kickstarter. Not saying this because I'm cool. just showing support. I don't understand how there can be over 2k people who are a member of fatcogs community but only a few hundred throw up a couple bucks to see it continue. What's up w that.
P.s. I don't care if people say I'm stupid or insinuate it. I know different. Thanks

mainlyfats

I jumped in for the 6k on 2nd day of kickstarter. Not saying this because I'm cool. just showing support. I don't understand how there can be over 2k people who are a member of fatcogs community but only a few hundred throw up a couple bucks to see it continue. What's up w that.
P.s. I don't care if people say I'm stupid or insinuate it. I know different. Thanks

From my perspective, I feel like I'm one of the people who helped keep the brand alive all this time so that there would be something to return to. Without a doubt, I'd feel differently if Chris had been a part of Fatcogs.

The bike he's making out of the gate isn't one that interests me at all.

I'd have put money on the table if the return was founded on 25 or 50 "factory" Yo singlespeeds with forks and headbadges, for example - a bike they never made, but one I wished they had.

YMMV :beer: Interested to see the first builds.

zonq

Certainly not. I definitely understand, and if my back could handle another skinny-tired hardtail, I'd seriously consider spending it too. But more importantly, while I too am surprised that only 132 people so far have made a financial commitment, it's only somewhat, because the short fundraising duration (4 weeks) and timing of it (in the middle of the winter off season) certainly can't be helping.

Especially the timing... I know of no one thinking about bikes around here right now. Everyone's just blown all their seasonal play money on skiing and the holidays. Even the LBS's have their bike stock in their basements and the snowboards and ski's are out instead.

I'd even bet a large portion of Fatcogs members are only active on here in the summer & fall, and are going to be really disappointed 6 months from now when they log in and discover this whole thing went on without them.

Then again, that's how a lot of these Kickstarter things seem to go. Big flurry of activity up front, then it plateaus and sits, & then picks up again at the end.

tvcreative

Who in the heck has that kind of tall cash sitting around?

Buy something sight unseen?

my old fats are still intrinsically more valuable than thin air…and will have a better ROI

if everyone is so set on buying something sight unseen i have some swamp land in jersey.

If you are gonna spend 6K on a mountain bike - pick up an Eriksen, or a Moots. Pure titanium sex on wheels.

3K for steel?

i'll let you guys pay the freight first, and pick one up on the BAY at 2/3s that….

Finally, if this operation is so short on cash - perhaps they aren't really ready to go back into business...

zonq

Who in the heck

lol TV... mr positivity...

If it's extravagant that a few people would have 6k available to spend helping get their favorite bike company back up & running, how is it presumed perfectly normal that Chris should somehow have 116k in cash laying around to restart it out of his own pocket?

It's not like he made off with Fat Chance's secret stash of gold bullion when the market imploded from under him and he wound up in divorce court.

If every potential company just sat around waiting for the magical money tree to poop cashfruit out of the sky instead of borrowing first, we wouldn't have companies, or banks, or a million people funding a million things on kickstarter. This is how it works.

tvcreative

okay you win…

ALL OF YOU OUT THERE WITH A FAT get off your purse strings - give 6K or you are not a "real" fat lover…give something - it's the new way in which our economy works

mainlyfats

Here's the thing I don't get - and fnck, not to pile on... - but I could buy a FTW Joe Friday bike and have straight line that runs through my nostalgia, world champs and a present day design-builder who has always been able to maintain a creditable position in the industry.

I could buy a Tranny 29'er and have, pretty-much, the absolute height of everything I could ever want in a modern hardtail, aligned to a brand that has tons of cred. I like carbon.

I could buy a WaltWorks that incorporates almost every Fat design cue, but makes it fully custom and has the advantage of builder-supplied.

All for what, half price? third of the price?

My argument when this started (again) was that as a Fat owner from the 80's, a restorer, modifier of bikes and accumulator of Fat lore: if you can't sell to me, THEN WHO IS YOUR MARKET?

I watch and weep - tiny, not real tears - at how the folks who are now quietly reviving the Koski bike brand are doing everything right. If you're not over on MTBR - VRC, you might miss it.

In my eyes, no one has done more to maintain this brand to the people who really care than Scott. I know that he's moved on professionally, but I'd buy one of his off-shoot bikes before I bought something labelled Fat just because Chris decided the time was right.