Is Chris getting back in the bike biz - 2014?

Karl

You could just make the site visible again ;)

Assuming that you are "Curtis Christensen, Director of Marketing, Fat Chance Bicycles. at 530.613.9842 or curty@FatChanceBicycles.com"

Hey Guys, I'm not Curtis, just a fat fan since 93 and still live in NY. But wow, great to see all the interest here and hope that Chris is doing well. On a truly related note you guys are awesome, the passion/bond is beyond description.
Thanks, Karl

Retro Dude

What I'm thinking the new Yo will have:

- steel hardtail

- 650b wheels, with clearance for 2.5" tires

- threaded BB

- 100mm fork

- 1.125" headset

... and the clean lines Chris has always made.

Last edited:

colker

If he sticks to 26in and makes a superior handling machine.. i say he is back to legend status. Just don't build another 650B steel hardtail who wants to be better than carbon me too i have soul builder.
Everyone has that already.. cheaper.
Either he goes against the grain or it's sad.

lucifer

He'll actually have to differentiate with paint, minor frame design touches and graphics.
Same as always.
As for price I think it has to be middle of the road. Fat was always cheaper than full custom anything.
I just hope they have longer head tubes this time. Stiffness is great but higher wider bars have really made mountain biking easier.

Retro Dude

What I'm thinking the new Yo will have:

- steel hardtail

- 650b wheels, with clearance for 2.5" tires

- threaded BB

- 100mm fork

- 1.125" headset

... and the clean lines Chris has always made.

What I would like to see in the new Yo is a '99 Yo updated for disc brakes and a 100mm fork. That's basically what I did for my sons '98 Yo, added a disc brake tab & guides for running a mechanical disc & put a hydrocoil on the front.

As for color, bring back Grellow!

DocChill

Nice Video on YouTube...

If he sticks to 26" and makes a superior handling machine... I say he's back to legend status! Just don't build another 650B steel hardtail who wants to be better than carbon...

Hi Fat-Fans,

I think the same and would be very, very grateful, if Chris would make his future frames for 26" wheels! I'm simply to small for bigger wheels...

Matching to this tread I found this nice video on YouTube, which I like to share with you ;)!

Can't wait to see the first new frames... I'm very, very happy that he's back!!!

Best regards,
Daniel
J7j5kFHQicY

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Poor Chris, 20years out of the game and suddenly he's back to herding cats :pills:

Thankfully he has the gift.

Assuming he is the primary one driving this, and not someone who wants to resurrect the brand and has $$ to commit.

Who wants to bet it's all fat bikes?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The new site is live, but apparently lacking enough bandwidth to do much.

Sounds like there will be a limited edition updated Yo Eddy and then the poll will determine the next phase.

mainlyfats

a Fat equivalent of a 911 Singer

Wait a minute... Isn't that a Delux Redux?

Thinking on it a bit - and it may well be that you and I have differing views on what the brand means - I can't see how Fat could hope to compete with builders like Gallus, Black Cat, English (and on, and on...). There's a certain segment of car guys who must - because of time, ability, location or for timeframe reasons - buy their way into excellence.

From what I've gleaned on the sidelines of VRC, the two worlds don't quite map. The resto-mod in the bike world is far less valuable than the original. A couple of folks have tried their hands at it (what was that resto-mod bike shop that lasted a year?), but so far as I know the only really successful launch (if you can call it that - it certainly wasn't widely broadcast) was that tiny run of Potts-built Cunningham clones. Why on earth Joe Breeze - other than a healthy ego and adequate bank account - hasn't fired up the torch to bust out 10 Series 1 clones is beyond me.

There's a utilitarian ethos behind Fat IMO. Simple, light, ready to go... Across town, across Africa, around a race course, whatever... The thing that Fat had over brands - again IMO - was a kind of anti-fashion. It produced high-end steel in the age of aluminum/titanium. It still made cool, light forks in an age when everyone was going crazy for heavy, crappy suspension that had a maintenance schedule like a helicopter.

The thing about Fats - to me - is that Fat owners ride. They don't sit around pondering how a gram here or there might improve their lap time, they don't look for the route that avoids the puddle, they don't need a blanket between theirs and their friend's bike in the bed of the truck... Fat owners would never blame their bike if they sucked.

Last edited:

zonq

I don't see the point in making a new 26'' wheeled Fat. Aside from the nonexistent market, if you're one of the few people that really want a 26'', there are always several on ebay and craigslist, and they can be had for under 1500 complete.

Larger dis wheels would be the next logical step.

...and wider.

mainlyfats

The question of material and wheel size makes me think that we've probably put more thought into it than the kids in charge of marketing... Ugh.

tvcreative

i smell a rat….i may tend to agree, that this is a face - for some other company's agenda.

But if i'm wrong, I'm in if it is a hard tail steel 650b disc with single speed options.

there's enough crappy carbon out there to leave a footprint for a million years.

DocChill

Nice Interview from Interbike...

Hi Fat-Fans,

Here I found a new interview with Chris from Interbike 2014 - very nice, the author (by mtbr.com) has shown a picture of my FAT Ti :)!

Have Fun!
Daniel

Zamfir

Such great news for enthusiasts, and people who love quality bikes. I will check out the site and lend my opinion for sure.

Frames should be designed by Chris, steel and ti would be the obvious materials of choice. 27.5, 29 wheels, option of a segmented fork and steel stems, Chance designed adjustable dropouts to run ss or geared, and options of classic FC paint.

I would also like to see racy geometry without the silly trend of a super slack head tube and 0 reach stem.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth....

Zamfir

one more thing....it would be cool to see a grassroots race team flying the colors.

perhaps offer team discounts on frames?